who's running 17" alloys ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerduffbeer

hello i really want to put 17" alloys on my puma and lower it with eibach springs but i have been told it will affect the acceleration and handling ?

who is running 17" alloys and can you really tell the difference with the acceleration and handling ?

thinking of getting these http://www.alloywheels.com/product.asp?P_ID=2079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they have a et38 205/40/17 tyres

You will certainly get a harsher ride with the low profile tyres needed to run 17's. If you get the wrong offset then you could ruin the handling but et38 is about on the very top of the limit to what is generally 'allowed'.

Theres million of topics with people asking this same question, if you use the search button you can find it all out but heres a couple to get you started

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have 17's with the same offset.

My puma is also lowered, 35-40mm.

I did these mods all at the same time, completely from standered, and the ride is fine.

I drive to work everyday and I love it! Yes it's alot firmer, but not too harsh.

It's all about finding that happy medium, road car come performance car.

Acceleration doesn't seem any worse, however the handling has improved significantly.

One thing to bare in mind is that you may experience slight rubbing on full lock, try a small spacer 3mm maybe 5mm.

Furthermore, you'll need to have the flanges underneath the front arches rounded off to stop the wheels bottoming out.

sax-puma said:
I have 17's with the same offset.

My puma is also lowered, 35-40mm.

I did these mods all at the same time, completely from standered, and the ride is fine.

I drive to work everyday and I love it! Yes it's alot firmer, but not too harsh.

It's all about finding that happy medium, road car come performance car.

Acceleration doesn't seem any worse, however the handling has improved significantly.

One thing to bare in mind is that you may experience slight rubbing on full lock, try a small spacer 3mm maybe 5mm.

Furthermore, you'll need to have the flanges underneath the front arches rounded off to stop the wheels bottoming out.

+1 :lol:

I'm on 17's, lowered 40mm, firmer ride yes, don't notice the change in acceleration using bigger wheels, and yes the handling is much better! But mine are 215/40. And i have a set of Yoko Parada's which are better with grip anyway (not in the wet though!!)

You will also need to re-locate the wire of the ABS sensor which is practiacally in the arch (however i haven't got spacers on mine) as the wheel will rub on the wire then you'll end up having to replace the sensor too.

It wasn't cable tied it was just re-routed. But i didnt do it so i wouldn't know without looking :lol:

^^^DEFFO^^^^

i didnt do this an now i have no ABS or TC... not a huge problem for me personally, always found abs is too intrusive for track days, i can brake well enough but it is nice have in this icey weather.

my puma is on 17's and was lowered 80mm on coilovers... looked awesome but was way to low!

best rule you can use is to keep the wishbones level when the car is lowerd, if they point upwards then there working againsnt themselves from the start, mine is now lowerd about 55-60mm and its alot better, handles like a dream! i do get some rubbing on full lock but apart from that its fine!

also make sure the car doesnt hit the top of the arch, theres a nasty piece of metel that can cut into the tyre! i also found that out when i replaced my tyres... they looked like they had been slashed!

Back