Will be saying goodbye to my Puma...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1

Hi all,

Well I think I will (sadly!) be saying goodbye to my Puma that I have now had for only 3 weeks. Due to practicalities of size and fuel usage:

1. Size: Getting things in has proven very difficult recently, as I quite often have to take large items in the car. Especially when the passenger door won't open until the drivers door is opened first - Maybe this is just a problem with my Puma... :-(

2. Fuel consumption: Well in the 1.7 I notice that my petrol is getting gobbled up VERY, VERY quickly, and I have to keep going the garage to fill up.. Anyone else find this?!

Well, the good points were... It looked nice and sporty, and it was easier to reverse into parking bays lol. :grin:

Cheers,
Mark. :)

The 1.7 CAN be as economical as the 1.4 and 1.6, so unless you drive it hard or do very short trips then something is up! What kind of driving and MPG are/were you getting?

What on earth are you comparing it with?

40mpg in the 1.7 is no problem. OK not exactly diesel performance, but it makes a much nicer noise - trust me, I know

My 1.7 had an odd filler neck and I could get 43 litres in at a fill leading to a tank range of something around 400 miles.

First time I put more than 40 litres in I called Trading Sstandards and got them to check the garage pump.

Mark1 said:
Hi all,

Well I think I will (sadly!) be saying goodbye to my Puma that I have now had for only 3 weeks. Due to practicalities of size and fuel usage:

1. Size: Getting things in has proven very difficult recently, as I quite often have to take large items in the car. Especially when the passenger door won't open until the drivers door is opened first - Maybe this is just a problem with my Puma... :-(

Yes, that's a problem specific to your puma really with the doors. Why did you buy a small coupe if you need to transport large items? :?

2. Fuel consumption: Well in the 1.7 I notice that my petrol is getting gobbled up VERY, VERY quickly, and I have to keep going the garage to fill up.. Anyone else find this?!

Even if I thrash mine for the entire tank on the road, I get 240 miles out of it which is still 35mpg odds. I got about 150 miles to a tank once, but that was on the Nurburgring lol

Sounds like you should have bought a Mondeo estate diesel.

Or maybe a VW Transporter sportline, the 'GTI' of the van world

the-caddy-and-caddy-maxi-sportline.jpg

8)

Well I only bought it because I thought it looked nice, lol.

I didn't think about the practicalities until later on...

I sometimes do things like that! :oops:

Going by your initial post your Puma has issues..... (not counting the apparent need for more cargo/luggage space).

The door problem is peculiar to your current car...

Have heard of others with a similar fuel consumption - but I would venture to say there is some underlying cause there too. Same as Dal mentioned above, even if I drive hard & in spirited fashion for the whole tank I will get 240-260 miles or thereabouts.... in normal usage (ie: mix of highly enthusiastic driving and some mundane/normal), it will be up to the 300 miles, or over.

Driven very sensibly, 400 is within range..... but I don't think I will see it, though others have.

My fuel consumption has never made it over 270 .. although haven't had a 100% eco run just yet.

Could disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours so the ECU resets itself help the fuel economy at all? Ive heard a couple of people mention it on here and it sounds like a good idea. I cant see it will make massive savings but every penny counts :)
As for my 1.7, Petrol seems fine to me. I had a merc Aclass 1.5 on hire and it drank petrol like nobodies business. crap motor

hi, is the door not opening on the blip, if so try and press it twice, ford did this at 1st thoe take it to main dealer and they can change it to 1 press to open all doors, not sure if this is ant help, as for fuel a lot of it depends on you drive,
let us no how you get on

puma2 said:
hi, is the door not opening on the blip, if so try and press it twice, ford did this at 1st thoe take it to main dealer and they can change it to 1 press to open all doors, not sure if this is ant help, as for fuel a lot of it depends on you drive,
let us no how you get on

Hi,
Well I havn't got the car now, I sold it last week. But anyway the car did not come with a 'blip' - I presume you mean 'key fob' by this!
All I had was a key... I used to just turn the key once to the left and then once to the right to activate the full locking.
Thanks,
Mark. :grin:

Back