Window clunking.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekz

I opened up my door today to attempt to get to the bottom of the metal clunking noise when I fully wind down my window (it's very disturbing and sounds like the window might smash so I rarely wind my window fully down), it sounds like metal to metal contact when the window finishes opening when it hits the bottom. Although, when I opened the door and listened it also sounds like it clunks a bit when wound down half way and abruptly stopped, although the clunk isn't as metallic sounding, or as loud.

I have made a video and uploaded it. http://videobam.com/rMhim

Anyone know what's causing this or what to try to fix it?

Thanks,
Will

Not an obvious problem going on then?

The only thing I can add to this is that the window rubber is warped to inside the frame on the top of the window, making the window push into it when closed, it's probably been like that for years and could have affected the window somehow by applying force when it's closed?

Good video but as above you'd really just need to try and pinpoint where it's coming from while looking at it.

(I've no sound at work mind!)

That's the thing, the noise kinda reverberated around the door, couldn't locate the exact place, I thought when I opened it up I would see some contact when the window is wound down but it seems to be from the motor attached to the frame when the brakes are applied and its stopped by depressing the button. Almost like it's not from contact but more from intertia? Hard to explain, but I think it's from the middle section.
Gah, nothing ever a simple fix in my world :p

Not that I've heard it but maybe the frame is slightly distorted near the bottom?

Iv'e fixed a loud 'klunk' noise on a door before...it was the round crashbar running diagonally accross the door... was bamging rather loudly.... check the spongy bit is still there in between that and the door skin..

:idea:

I guess that's the impact protection bar?
What do you mean by door skin? Is it either side of the door where the bar connects to the frame? I'm a bit confused? :)

Back