window not coming up straight

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewjeffs

My drivers window is not coming up as it should,when its halfway up,i can actually move the glass forward and back quite a bit in its runners.

When the glass comes up,it not sealed correct in its rubber on either side,with air rushing through the gap,like you have the window open.

If you look outside the car,the edge of the glass is actually exposed..sometimes on the front edge,sometimes at the back.

hi ive had the same fault with mine and just run some oil down the runners with the window open this fixis it but after about a month does the same again so am going to take the door interior to see the problem soon,Also when doing the window up guide the window into the runner as it goes up then whenether you will still be able to close the window without that awefull draft :thumbs:

This is one of those little `issues` that you get to enjoy with the puma..
As demonskull says, lubricating the runners works well.
I`d recommend silicone spray (with a `straw` nozzle) rather than oil..

but surely the ability to move the window forward and back a couple of inches is not how it comes as standard?What has broken/worn out to cause this issue.

I have figured out the guiding it with your hand tactic,but its still difficult to get it right.

My passenger window is the same, I just have to guide it in as it goes up. Luckily I don't have to use it so it stays up. However I don't think there is a proper fix for it, besides getting a new motor assembly.

Hi, I have stripped and reassembled the drivers and passengers door four times now one of the times only this weekend gone, many thanks to IanG who supplied the necessary part(s)! The puma has a very particular way the windows are mounted and the doors are assembled.

The doors as a unit are made of three pieces:

The Door body (where all the electrics are and where the glass retracts into)
The Rubber/metal bar/frame
The Glass

The two issues with the glass not going up and down as it should are that the rubber frame isn't set straight and requires jiggling about to get the best fit, and the clamp (a green bracket that slides on a rail inside the door that allows adjustment via two bolts that clamp to another bracket attached to the glass itself) isn't as centred on the glass as it could be i.e. its pushing the front or back of the glass and making it turn as it rises.

What you need to do is:

1. Wind the window down all the way down.
2. Remove the door card (make sure you have replacement door card clips as they're "single use")
3. Locate the 4 bolts and 1 nut that fixes the frame to the door body. Two bolts on the trailing edge of the door, they're under a black plastic cover, gold coloured, have massive washers on and incredibly hard to miss. Two bolts on the leading edge of the door, one under the rubber flap near the wing mirror (just pull from underneath) and another under a black plastic cover. The nut is just above where the glass disappears into the door near the wing mirror end.
4. Loosen all four bolts and nut (do not remove) and rejiggle to straighten the frame up, you can adjust the door/frame angle and the nose/tail rotation by 'panning' the bolts about in their holes. tighten the nut at the top up but not the others, shut the door and make sure it seals all the way round the rubber lip, repeat if necessary. If you can pull the frame away from the car, then try again.
5. Once you have a good seal, open the door and tighten all the bolts up again.
6. Wind the window up and down a couple of times, see if you can find where the window starts to come out of alignment.
7. Locate the green carriage at the bottom inside the door, loosen the two screws inside it so they can be turned easily but not fall out. Drop the window slightly and tighten the screws back up again (if you can see them, if not, wind the window up whilst applying pressure to the glass so it runs straight up the vertical part of the frame, tighten screws through the Ford approved screw tightening holes)
8. Repeat 6-7 until happy
9. Wind window up and down a few times to check it doesnt jam again.
10. Repeat 6-9 until happy
11. Wind window up and down with door closed as well, just to make sure
12. Repeat 6-9 until happy
13. Replace switch gear, trim clips and door cards
13. Complete.

I've done this method each time the doors have been in pieces and has worked for me, i haven't had to use lubricant yet, though the time may come :p

Apologies, i've just noticed i rambled on again, was not the intention to write such a monster :S

andrewjeffs said:
cheers for this,its driving me up the wall!
Did you ever try the silicon spray? It does work.

The point people often miss is that the window surround is not just a seal, but are also guides in their own right. In addition to preventing the window rising, they can also force the window out of position if not as supple as they should be.

Back