Window seal woes

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally found what's causing the wind noise on the drivers side door. I have though it was the door seal, but it is actually the window seal along the top of the door. The window is pushing out of it and has caused a bit of damage to it.
It doesn't strike me as the easiest job to replace the whole door seal, but has anyone ever done this?
Or could it be anything to do with the window itself not being seated right?

Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

IMAG0504_zpsov0ezbx5.jpg

IMAG0503_zpstkmt95cn.jpg

I've noticed my window seal do this, though not to this extent. May be worth trying to tease it out with a credit card or similar, then softening it up with a some heat (hairdryer) and letting the rubber set again. I'm going to get wind deflectors which I think sit inside the seam the window sits in, so hoping they will stop the window from catch the seals again.

I like my deflectors I think they definitely add a little something to the car.

You could just change the whole window frame if simpler easier solution's don't work.

This is a common problem.
Probably distortion of the top frame caused by years of closing the door by pushing the top corner.
Or crap in the window guides which forces the glass inwards as it reaches the top of its travel.
Paul

musicformybumhole said:
Thanks for any help and advice in advance.
Easy enough to fix - put the car in full sun for an hour and then spray the life out of the window guides and seals with silicone spray - this doesn't just make things glide over each other, but makes rubbery things softer/flexible again. - it's that last part that most people don't realise.

Then raise the window slowly while gently prising the bent in part of the window seal out with a credit card. Spray once a day for a week to get more silicone spray to soak in and the window seal will be fine again.

Back