Windscreen removal

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenpenalver

How hard is it to remove a windscreen in one piece??

Ive got a donor puma for a project car and want to rob the heated screen.

Ive seen people use wierd knives to cut the glue, and others use metal wire to saw through it.

Anyone got any experience?

I've had a go at this on a few breakers.
As an amateur, its bloody hard.

Those knife things are impossible to use (you'd need to be Hercules to cut through the seal)
Cheese wire type cutters work. But I always mangle the black alloy trim that runs around the screen.

If you work out how to get a screen out "cleanly"
I'd be interested to hear hoe you've done it (I have a cracked screen)

cool. Ive got the cheese wire type so i shall use that. I guess slow and steady is the game.

I thought on the puma once youve pulled off the cosmetic rubber trim around the edge, thats basically it and you can cut around the screen then?

I spoke to my friend. Explained your problem and his first response was to bring the car to him and he will do it. Of course, the costs of doing so make it prohibitive, so his advice is the following.
Pull out the cosmetic rubber trim, then shift your focus to interior. Take off all of plastic trim from inside and using a longish stanley knife start cutting the seal. Start at the top, going slowly down the sides (A pillars). Heating it up with the heat gun WON'T HELP. You have to be very patient and do it slowly and make sure you have cut it through. Take your time. When you reach the bottom edge you can use the wire to cut it off.
The main thing is not to rush it.
Or, you can buy him a low cost air ticket and he will come and do it for you! :cool: :lol:

Back