Winter proofing.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Hello everyone!

I picked up my second puma last month. It's a 2001 1.7 with 70K on the clock, it had no tax or MOT and had been sat dying for a few months. The air con isn't working, rust had started underneath the sill protectors, the interior light doesn't come on when you open the doors, there was the odd bit of plastic trim missing from the interior, a couple of bulbs were out and the fuse for the dash light was dead, but apart from that it's brilliant! An hours worth of work later and it passed it's mot with no advisories!

The sills had only just started to bubble so a bit of grinding and re-painting and they're sorted (I'll be velcroing the replacements down!), the air con is probably going to wait until spring time now and I'll look at the interior light situation at some point in the next few weeks!

Anyway, as winter is rapidly approaching it's getting it needs to get it's winter coat on!
It's getting undersealed next month (there's no rust underneath!) and winter tyres fitted at the end of this month. I'm going to buy a set of steelies to stop my alloys being eaten away by the salt and this is where my question is! I'm looking at Vredestein Snowtrac 3 in 175/70R13 but was wondering if the 13 inch steelies will actually fit or are they too small!? All brakes and suspension components are standard for now.

If not will 14's?

Thanks for reading

Darren!

:shock: 13s on a puma,14s are the lowest you can go 165/65x14 tyres why not just get some 15 steelies or a cheap 2nd hand set of alloys

Like Martin said, you can pick up Prop wheels dirt cheap (I have a set spare myself I would part with for £50 if you're local), would keep the handling on the car in good order and just as cheap as buying a set of steel ones!

Welcome along!

Get some cheap 9 spokes (so as to keep your insurers happy rather than props that were never standard with a 2001 puma) and just put some decent winter / wet tyres on them. Look at http://www.camskill.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for good tyre deals.

Are you in the UK or in Scandinavia for instance needing better winter tyres?

PS: Good username, I nearly chose that back on 3rd October 2007.. :lol:

Thanks for the replies!

I looked at getting a set of steel 15's but trying to find the tyres in this size is turning out to be a bit of a mission, everywhere is out of stock! A lot of 13's about though, I haven't looked for 14 so hopefully somewhere will have them in. If I can find some in 15 I might take those props off you, I didn't realise they went for so little!

I'm in the UK but lived in Germany for 4 years and had to have them on every winter over there, they make such a difference!

Dal said:
(so as to keep your insurers happy rather than props that were never standard with a 2001 puma)

Every days a school day, didn't realise that! :grin:

Back