WINTER TYRES

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RS200

Have any of you good people thought about some winter boots for your Puma ?

'Normal' tyres are now much more focused on seasonal use ( not just snow!).

The 'normal' compound mix we buy here in UK starts to fall off below 9 to 7 dg.

That means in real terms if you had 'winter' tyres on you would stop around 5 meters faster on slushey wet roads and 11 meters less on ice/snow !

Yes I know the clown behind you may not stop , but if you miss the brick wall infront ????????????

Not stupid money , will last several years ,and your 'normal' tyres last longer by not being used for six months of the year ! October to April.

Unless you wrap it in a blanket for winter :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a set of snow Tyers for my FRP.

Would rather spend money on some Tyers then spend in on a recovery truck to pull me out a ditch!!! :grin:

I probably would if I lived in Wales but where I live there's not much point; I just leave massive gaps to the car in front!

I ran winter tyres on the back of the pick-up through Autumn 2010, then swapped them to the front for the winter.

Forgot to change them over again so have run with them on the front since.

Means I am all set up for the winter.

Did I notice any difference?

Well frankly, with Nagasaki Ditchfinder S on the other two wheels almost anything else is better when I take the monstrously powerful beast to the ragged edge on the twisties.

Dont the roads get wet and the temp drop below 7dg down south ?? Not just snow !

Studded tyres are illegal in the uk !

A 4x4 on 'summer tyres' will slip and slide on snow or ice just the same ! My Range Rover has its 'winter' tyres on now.

Ive got soft compound wet tyres for most of the winter, and snowchains for when it gets snowy. The chains are really quite something, but only on untreated roads. We live on a fairly steep hill, the guy next door has a 4x4, he was stuck at home and I was getting out and about in a heavy, relatively high power RWD car with an auto box - normally a deadly combination :lol: .

Great fun going up and down the steep hills in Torquay that even the 4x4's were too scared to try. So many roads with no tyre marks over to drive round...

The chains I never drove above 30, but at those speeds it felt 110% safe, I just saw no point whatsoever in pushing things in snow. It was just a nice revelation to not be worried at all at "normal" speeds. Of course short hops across treated roads are a bit louder. Whoever came up with the grit 1/4 of the roads and leave the rest an ice rink idea had obviously never driven in snow with chains on, we would be FAR safer with all untreated roads and vehicles being required to use chains or real snow tyres..

In an ideal world Id have snow tyres for all the cars, but the chains are a good back up, and they dont take long to get on and off.

get some like this BMW owner

pay0kuh0.jpg

I have chains on the front on my rearwheel drive car, Wouldnt want to go without braking and steering after all.

Of course I have them on the back as well...

Anyone tried those snowsocks things? wander how well they do on treated surfaces...

That is so funny!

Shows the level of knowledge typical of those who buy the marque because it's "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

Back