Yes another lowering springs thread..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water-bug55

Hi all
I have alot of questions regarding lowering springs and i thought Id ask all the questions all in one hit :p
(also bear in mind i am low on funds hence getting springs not the full kit)

1)Can a novice fit these or should i get a proper mechanic ?
2)I live in an area where speed humps can be pretty frequent, so how far should i lower it to be safe (but still look good :p ) ?
3)Which make of springs are good/reliable ?
4)Where should I look to buy them ?
5)Does fitting them damage your car (short or long term) ?
(Can't think of anymore at the moment but proberly will as soon as i click submit lol)
Many Thanks in advance
Dean
Also if there is any hints/tips or advice they will be very helpful too :)

EDIT : Iv been looking at these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apex-Ford-Puma-Lowering-Springs-/260765983291?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb6dd223b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Any good ?

Have a look at this topic

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neil said:
Have a look at this topic

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks alot Neil thats a very good thread,
Still leaves me with a few un-answered questions though

water-bug55 said:
If you're not confident with it, then leave it to the professionals as a compressed spring is dangerous if in the wrong hands.
2)I live in an area where speed humps can be pretty frequent, so how far should i lower it to be safe (but still look good :p ) ? Up to you how fast you go over them. Mine was lowered 40 odd mm and it never "beached".
3)Which make of springs are good/reliable ? Eibach if you was Ford approved ones.
4)Where should I look to buy them ? Google is your friend.
5)Does fitting them damage your car (short or long term) ? If you only fit springs and not uprated shocks to go with them, you might kill your shocks quicker. The inside of your tyres may wear faster too.

Dal said:
water-bug55 said:
If you're not confident with it, then leave it to the professionals as a compressed spring is dangerous if in the wrong hands.
2)I live in an area where speed humps can be pretty frequent, so how far should i lower it to be safe (but still look good :p ) ? Up to you how fast you go over them. Mine was lowered 40 odd mm and it never "beached".
3)Which make of springs are good/reliable ? Eibach if you was Ford approved ones.
4)Where should I look to buy them ? Google is your friend.
5)Does fitting them damage your car (short or long term) ? If you only fit springs and not uprated shocks to go with them, you might kill your shocks quicker. The inside of your tyres may wear faster too.
Thanks alot Dal ! Erm what did you think of the springs on the link ? (good-bad ?)
Whats the best of these makes (spaxx, gmax, apex, weitec, koni). I would like to get the Eibach's but is out of my budget, i found them for 200 quid.

Eibach's are £137.88 + delivery here:
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/c/eibach_suspension_213/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eibach Springs were an accessory for the Puma, my insurance company didn't increase my premium, but every company is different.

Ahh ok thanks YOG, so would i be right in saying that everyone would recommend the the eibach springs to the apex springs ??
I most proberly will get the eibach's as they are cheaper than what i orignally thought lol :p

I ran mine on Eibach's and standard dampers for 16,000 miles.
Just changed to YSB dampers (stiffer), but originals still OK and not leaking,

Latest posts

Back