140mph in a Puma?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBF, the 140mph quote came from the Derbyshire Road Policing Unit.. so either they made it up or that's what they were clocked at from the traffic unit?

That's true, of course. Probably came from how fast the police had to go in order to catch the speeding Puma. Not unreasonable to have to do 140mph to catch a 120-125mph car. Doesn't, of course, mean the Puma was doing 140 though...

I think downhill, with the wind behind it, only 1 person in it, not much fuel, then maybe?

I'm reminded of the train driver from Back to the future part 3, where they ask him if it would be possible to go 90mph in the train.

Engineer (Bill McKinney): "How fast can she go? Why, I've had her up to 55, myself. I heard that Fearless Frank Fargo got one of these near 70 out past Verde Junction."
Marty: "You think it's possible to get it up to 90?"
Engineer: "Ha! 90? Tarnation, son, who'd ever need to be in such a hurry?"
Doc: "Just a little bet he and I have, that's all. Theoretically speaking, could it be done?"
Engineer: "Well, I suppose if you had a straight strech of track with a level grade and you weren't haulin' no cars behind you, and if you could get the fire hot enough, and I'm talkin' about hotter than the blazes of hell and damnation itself, then yes, sir. It might be possible to get her up that fast."

Back To The Future III_0009.jpg

In all seriousness, the cars are so cheap now, its surprising me scumbags ain't buying them for cheap thrills.

I love mine’s cheap thrills, when it’s not misfiring! Would love to see people’s faces as it does overtake a few things on my commute!

I once had 135 mph indicated (private road cough*) bouncing off the limiter. probably more like 125 real speed though as speedos are not that accurate at higher speeds so I call BS on the 140mph lol.

A lot of scumbags are buying the Puma for cheap thrills. But they have weak clutches, so when you're driving them like Michael Schumacher, and they're often on their first clutch with over 100,000 miles in order to be cheap, the clutch will be done within a week or so. :lol:

The MK5 Fiesta, Peugeot 206's, Ford KA's and Corsa C's are the most common to be on the roads without insurance etc IMHO. Often see the local lads around here, can tell they aren't legal as they have new cars every couple of weeks. But people want £30-£40 more than the scrapyard will give, and they end up in their hands, and before you know it the police are at the door as they've failed to stop, took them on a pursuit around the local council estate, and gone off-road and the police aborted the pursuit. :roll: Often sent logbook off in false names etc as well. By the time the DVLA have even processed the logbook, the police are at your door questioning you. Often in the early hours of the morning.

lusid666 said:
[post]369306[/post] I once had 135 mph indicated (private road cough*) bouncing off the limiter. probably more like 125 real speed though as speedos are not that accurate at higher speeds so I call BS on the 140mph lol.

:lol:
I did hit an indicated 125mph on that very same private road (Anglesey, wasn't it?) very early one quiet morning. I was actually trying to get to Pwllheli, but missed the sign and ended up at the ferry terminal on Anglesey... hence the slight rush back to the mainland to rejoin the rest of the group. To be fair, the Puma felt pretty solid and steady.

Many years ago I pushed my Capri 2.0S to 110mph and it was a bit... wayward. The Porsche 924 that I had after it was so much better at 125mph.

Had 127mph on my sat nav once, on a public road, & I didn't care if cops saw me. There was faster cars going by me as if I was stationary, including the cops in a 911 :roll:

I was in Germany on one of my Nurburgring trips & was clearing the cobwebs off the Puma :lol:

d170sam said:
[post]369370[/post] Mine topped out at 136, at 7500rpm on the rolling road (FRZ gearbox) :)
Exactomundo.
You run out of revs long before you get close to 140mph.
If you can get 7k rpm in top then you have a healthy motor and probs around a real 130mph

Latest posts

Back