P reg puma decisions

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardi909

Hi all,

Returning member here gauging interest on what to do with my beloved 1997 P reg Puma.

I have owned the car for 11 very happy years but due to lots of things going on in my life the car was taken off the road about 4 years ago due to failing its MOT for rusty inner sills. It has since sat on my parents drive with the hope of one day restoring it.

However reality has hit home and I don't think that I will ever find that time, money or resources to do this and am now at the point of either - breaking it for parts or selling it to someone as a complete restoration project.

So i'm asking the question - Do people think the rarity of it being a P reg is enough to warrant a restoration project? or should I just break it for parts? It does have the following mods which I know will still be in demand - Eibach lowering springs, Full Leather interior, Mondeo ST Brakes, Full set of Toyo's proxes with decent tread.

I really don't want to break it and would love to see it one day back on the road but my heart is ruling my head here and I'm hoping some guidance will help me decide to sell it whole or break it for parts.

Many thanks in advance

Rich

Probably worth finding out exactly how early it is, post the reg and I'll be able to tell you what day it was built and therefore its rough position in the production period.

Ian, I've hidden the last 3 digits of the VIN.

Ford ETIS
Puma 1997-2001, Zetec 1.7 EFI, Cuirass
VIN Number: WF0CXXGAECVR19XXX
Registration Number: P67GMO
First Registration Date: 03.07.1997
Registration Country: GB

Primary Features
Build Date: 26.06.1997
Vehicle Line: Puma 1997-2001
Body Style: 3 Door Coupe
Engine: Zetec 1.7 EFI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual Transaxle - B5/IB5
Drive: RHD FWD
Axle Ratio: 3.82
Emission: EEC 96 Car (EEC 1)
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Territory: (+)"GB"
Paint: Cuirass
Interior Colour: Alchemy Interior
Interior Fabric: Silverstone/Echo

Thanks for the info Rick.

Its done around 130k but I replaced the engine at 120k with a 60k engine.

Yes it is Cuirass which is the best colour in my opinion although i do get stick from the missus who says it purple :lol:

Hi,
Sorry I missed the colour. I am only after another Puma in the right colour and low milage to tuck away for future spares due to the fact that parts in the future will be nigh on impossible to get hold of.
Regards
Richard

So am I barking up the wrong tree here and it has too many miles to be considered for a restoration project?

I don't think that's the case, most restorations at the present time come as a labour of love, the owners know that they probably won't end up selling or more importantly recouping the costs.

Things you need to weigh up is, what needs doing to get it to an excellent standard, how much will that then cost versus what do you plan to do with it.

The P plate Pumas are pretty rare so I'm sure given the right market and condition there would be interest.

The idea of restoring and keeping myself is out of the equation and its more a question of whether to sell all the goodies and scrap the car or sell it whole to someone as a restoration project due to the cars rarity.

As a very rough guide the following would need doing to bring it back to a drivable and presentable standard - Both rear arches sorting, both wing mirrors replacing, both Inner sills welding. Also likely the following would need attention as per the last MOT advisory - breaking system imbalanced so assume this would need a complete overhaul.

Anyone want to tally the costs up for me?

thanks

I hate so admit it but I have scrapped 2 P reg cars , a black one with only 64k and a green one on 80K. Both had their correct early cloth trim in good condition and original engines that matched the VIN. Yours is certainly rare by virtue of being P reg but unless you can find the original engine and a good trim it's not going to be that desirable. I had both mine with intent to restore but they were rotter when I checked closely. Bought them for 200 quid each.

sorry for the delay with the responses-been busy with work and family.

Thanks for the input redexr - I still have the original engine minus 1 or 2 sensors however the cloth interior is missing both front seats.

Simonavis - I will PM you later on tonight after I’ve finished work and sorted the kids out etc.

Thanks again for everyone’s input.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back