Puma Starting Issue (WITH VIDEO)

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DafWales

Hi, I'm new to the forum and sadly its not such a happy note.

I bought the car to replace my girlfriends last Puma which we got her as a first car. Sadly that one was written off the day before Christmas Eve outside of her house.
This last month we managed to find her new Puma which was in really good condition, 70k on the clock, good sills and one arch already having been repaired.

Now for the problem. For the most part it starts fine... Then every so often after its been driven then left about an hour or two and started again it doesn't want to start.
The starter motor is turning, but the dash throws some lights up and struggles as if its not getting fuel.

I've not seen it in person happening so I got my girlfriend to record herself starting the car every time just in case to capture it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-bpgq1AIwQ&feature=youtu.be

Anyone seen or had this issue before ? I'm assuming it could be common as her first Puma did this from time to time too, though this one seems to do it more often.

She should first get contact and wait for a buzz of fuel pump priming itself to stop.
So, key to position II, all lights are on, listening to ahnnnnnnnnnnnnn for a second or so until it stops. That is sign that fuel pressure in the fuel injection is as it should be and ONLY THEN she should be cranking the engine. It will start normally. Fords do like you to wait for a fuel pump priming itself and then work without a problem.

Is after short journeys? You should try the hot start procedure in the manual if so as they aren't found of short runs then starting again.

As coyote says, give it a few seconds before starting.
This happened to me once when I first bought the car, I waited a couple of seconds to let it prime and it started. I followed this simple procedure thereafter and I never once had the same problem for the next 4 years of ownership....except when my battery died one day lol.

Most of the time I would get in the car, turn the ignition on but not start it, put on my seatbelt, then start it. Simples ;)

Thanks for the replies.

When I'm with her she does usually let it prime bur I'll mention to make sure she waits a little longer as it could be her in a rush.

It has mostly been on short journeys e.g. 5 miles and more. Though this last time it had been a 25 mile trip, left the car for 2 hours then came back to drive home.

See how we go from now on.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back