Coolant - where did it go...?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT66

Today I was heading off early into Manchester. All OK until 10-15 minutes into the drive when I noticed the Temperature Gauge had gone from cold, to normal, and was now rapidly rising into the red. Realising I had just passed a Ford dealership on the A56 I swung the car around and got into the car park as the needle hit red. A quick check and all seemed OK. One of the Ford guys had a quick look and we realised there was no coolant in the system at all.

A quick check around showed no obvious leaks, so he topped up the system with cold water and I ran the engine. Another check - I was expecting to see a leak from somewhere - but nothing. He suggested getting the car back to my servicing dealer. I drove off and checked the system again after ten minutes of driving. There was no coolant loss, and level was staying OK in the Expansion Tank. I carried on with my journey and checked it again on arrival in the city centre some 15 minutes later - still OK.

Finished in Manchester after a few hours and checked the car on my return to the car park - level still OK. Drove home (6-7 miles/20 minutes) and checked it again on parking up - still OK, no leaks.

I know it had some repairs recently (the only Engine one being a Gasket Seal replacement), and the car has run perfectly since then - so a few weeks later, therefore I'm not sure it had anything to do with that, but also not sure how the coolant has suddenly disappeared if there are no obvious leaks.

Anyone had anything similar, and found a resolution? I've read about the Heater Control Valve (a weak point, and had two done on my KA from memory), but I would have thought that would show a leak immediately. I'm a bit lost. :?:

You're right about the HCV - you'd see it.

Heater matrix less so but normally evidence on/under the carpet.

First thing get proper coolant in it so when it does leak you can see the residue, clean water will be harder to spot.

Then just a case of keeping an eye on the level. If its a few miles since it was last checked they it could be going down gradually and if you've no evidence anywhere then you could also suspect that its ending up in the chambers and leaving via the exhaust.

If you want to have a proper look under it you're welcome to bring it to Runcorn and get it on my ramp.

That's a kind offer, Ian. I was just curious about the incident, really - I'll be back at work on Monday and will get it back in to the garage for a check-up. Agree about the coolant - never happy with just water in there, as it's nowhere as efficient as the proper stuff.

An update - of a kind, just in case anyone else has a similar strange occurrence. Went back to the car yesterday evening and noticed a large pool of liquid under the car where I usually park. Although clearly not very recent, it certainly wasn't there the other day, and most certainly wasn't just water. So now I was concerned. Decided, as I have Ford breakdown cover, to give them a call and have the car checked - I didn't really want to drive it to Stockport and blow the engine.

Great chap called Andy arrived within the hour. "These are fantastic, mate - little go-karts. Let's have a look," and checked the car over. And checked it again. No leaks. Ran the engine until hot - no leaks. Checked the water was circulating properly - OK. Still no leaks. Checked water pump and heating system - OK. Still no leaks. Checked thermostats (two on the Pumas, of course) once temperature was up to 82degrees (at which point they open) - OK. Still no leaks. Checked head gaskets, etc - OK. Still no leaks. An hour later the car was purring away in my parking bay perfectly content, the engine now having run for the best part of 50 minutes. Still no leaks.

His only conclusion - very possibly one the thermostats had briefly seized (apparently they use the old tried-and-tested design based on melted wax!), causing overheating and the system to vent off loads of coolant. Once the original Ford chap filled the system back up the thermostat kicked back into life and is now working ok. So... no fault found.

Next plan is to get the coolant properly replenished at Ford on Monday and see how it goes from there.

A good point, Puma Babe, and to be fair to AA Andy, he did have all the 'usual suspects' lined up - Heater Control Valve, Water Pump, Radiator, etc. His conclusion was a massive coolant dump as opposed to a slow leak - hence his thoughts regarding the Thermostat(s) seizing. No signs of any leaks at all, he reported - no pink residues anywhere to show a consistent slow leak, Radiator still solid and sound, all Hoses correct, and even the dreaded HCV performing correctly... "It's bloody bone-dry in there, mate!"

I've got a big run to Scotland next month (can't wait to get the Puma on those roads) so I'll be keeping a very careful eye on it!

I had a similar problem on mine and it ended up being a split hose (return hose to the expansion bottle) it only leaked when engine got up to running temperature and the water dropped down by the alternator. I only noticed by chance when returning to the car after filling up and noticed a small puddle and drips from the car. It took a little while to locate the problem as I assumed it would be one of the usual suspects and water was dripping from same side as thermostats, water pump etc.
Hope you get it sort in time to enjoy those superb Scottish roads.

MikeT66 said:
[post]362846[/post] OK. Still no leaks. An hour later the car was purring away in my parking bay perfectly content, the engine now having run for the best part of 50 minutes. Still no leaks.
In the absence of any obvious causes, the usual next step is to do a coolant pressure test. You'll then know 100% what's going on in 30 minutes.

For a one-off situation, it's probably easier/cheaper just to take it somewhere and have it done, rather than buying the equipment for it.

Hi Mike
There's also a very common water leak from the aluminium cover under the coilpack. It usually leaks from the largest hose on the cover and it's almost as if the hose is too big for the spigot and the Ford spring clips are woefully inadequate in sealing it up. The best way to sort it is to take the pipe off and clean all the crystalised crap off the spigot before putting it back together again with a jubilee clip.
Barry

I've got a big run to Scotland next month (can't wait to get the Puma on those roads) so I'll be keeping a very careful eye on it!

Anywhere near South Ayrshire? if so feel free to drop in

MikeT66 said:
[post]362879[/post] A good point, Puma Babe, and to be fair to AA Andy, he did have all the 'usual suspects' lined up - Heater Control Valve, Water Pump, Radiator, etc. His conclusion was a massive coolant dump as opposed to a slow leak - hence his thoughts regarding the Thermostat(s) seizing. No signs of any leaks at all, he reported - no pink residues anywhere to show a consistent slow leak, Radiator still solid and sound, all Hoses correct, and even the dreaded HCV performing correctly... "It's bloody bone-dry in there, mate!"

I had mine checked out 3 times at ford before they could actually identify the water pump as the culprit
just checked back, the leak didn't show on pressure testing. It was leaking intermittently then resealing. I had the pump changed and it cured the problem

zinc2000 said:
[post]362890[/post]

Anywhere near South Ayrshire? if so feel free to drop in

Sadly not - Fife and Oban, but thank you for the offer as I'd have taken you up on that - always happy for a chat and coffee with other car/Puma fans! Not quite the great roads of the Highlands, but I'll hopefully enjoy it anyway.

Another update and more information. Drove home from work yesterday, and as is now (for the time being) normal procedure I checked the coolant... found it pouring out from somewhere in the engine area. Grabbed my camera and took a few snapshots/short video and called Ford Breakdown again.

Another check from Breakdown chappie and a very high pressure test. Found leak from around the Thermostat/Housing that sits just under the Alternator. It seems that under certain conditions the Thermostat Housing is developing a leak and venting massive amounts of coolant... only to 're-seal' itself when back in normal conditions. Breakdown chap figures a hairline crack that closes up once the temperature/pressure drops below a certain point - hence the car running perfectly for periods of a time.

Back in the garage today, and I'll update the information when I get it in case it helps anyone in the future.

Hi Mike
I forgot to say when I joined in the thread earlier that the thermostat housings fail pretty much the same as the HCVs do. I bought and fitted a new one last year on the advice of Lee (the Arch bishop) to prevent the failure whilst I was driving it. I suppose it's something to do with heat cycles and plastic not being suitable for it. It's about £35 for a new one from Ford.
Barry

Hi Barry - good to hear from you - I hope you are well.

I think the Thermostat Housing on mine is still the original (so did AA man) - if that's correct then 121000 miles/15 years isn't too bad, but you are correct in that the use of some of these materials is a bit odd. Cost reasons, I would imagine. Ford looking at mine today, so hopefully will get a more comprehensive idea at some point soon.

Finally sorted yesterday. Took the car in on Tuesday morning to Ford in Stockport, and collected it late yesterday afternoon. Another £200 invoice for Thermostat Housing/Gaskets/Seals/Coolant and labour costs to go in the 'Puma File' but at least the car is running as lovely as it ever did.

Fair play to Ford for sorting it as quickly as they did (they were initially fully-booked in the workshop until Friday!) and car returned cleaned and sparkling.

Oh, and free courtesy car provided until mine was fixed - another bonus.

Latest posts

Back