Help!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BangBang

Evening all- Just put a deposit on a T reg 1.7 today, i think it's a thunder, not sure. It's mint
inside and out with 82k and fsh-£500 is this a good price people?
I'm a performance bike rider normally but i borrowed my housemates Puma and was hooked.
Such a good crack to drive. Are there any good info or tips you can impart and most importantly, any good insurers. Cheapest quote I've got on comparison site's is £290! I'm nearly 40 with max ncd.

Hi
Check for rust underneath particularly at the rear of the sills and make sure the cambelt's been done recently. If there's no history of a cambelt change get it done straight away at a garage that knows how to do the belt change on this car.
Barry

Very doubtful it'll be a Thunder on a T reg. I think they were at the end of the production run.
Paul

Nice one. Cambelt done at 52k and the lady owner informed me that the mot inspector was surprised at how solid it was underneath compared to the usual puma rot so all good news. Guys, Insurance company recommendations please??

definitely not a thunder if its a T reg. I'm 46 with protected NCD and my insurance is heading for £400 because of where I live

Thanks for the insurance feedback- looks like that £290 quote was ok then. Doesnt make any sense- my Gsxr 1000 sportsbike will do a ton in first with a top speed of around 170mph yet only costs £250 a year to insure. Go figure??

My Puma with all the mods declared was just less than £240 fully comp with A plan but that's just for 5000 miles/year.
Barry

Bikes weigh a lot less and can probably do less damage than a car can if they hit something, also given that in theory the riders won't want to be coming off they are in theory paying attention only to the road rather than fiddling with stereos, sat navs, fags, food, drink etc as they are going along.

I've been insuring bikes for about the quarter of the cost of insuring a car since I've owned my bike(s) (7 years) and I've got 13 years NCD on my car policy.

Maybe try direct line / tesco? At least one doesnt usually turn up in comparisons.

Also as already stated, it won't be a Thunder on a T plate unless it's had a private registration making it look older. Most Thunders are 2001, come in silver of magnum grey only, have leather interior, a 6 disc CD changer in place of the standard single slot and have specific wheels (not the standard propeller style or 9 spokes)

Welcome to the site :)

Howdy,

put your reg in here and it'll tell you all you need to know about the car
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=8C05E3A779D9E1AB370FC28EAD26BA83.eccvas503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And on insurance notes, i pay £260/y for my bike, and the quote on my Puma was £2100. Now figure that one out.

Luckily my car insurance is on a trade policy.

At your age and with ncb either Aviva or LV= will probably give you a very competitive quote.

TGPlayer1 said:
And on insurance notes, i pay £260/y for my bike, and the quote on my Puma was £2100. Now figure that one out.

I'm think this could be partly because in a car you are likely to cause much more damage to others and objects around you.

Whereas usually on a bike you mostly cause damage to yourself.

My first puma insurance was around £2700 by the time you include interest, although I cannot recall who it was with (terrible!). My second year was around £800 with Only Young Drivers (although the policy was with Aviva, who incidently quoted me something much higher themselves). This year I was down to around £350 with Direct Line, although I've just swapped to Adrian Flux (up to £680 I think) so I could legally drive my car with it's modifications.. I had named drivers on all my policies until this most recent one. It seems to be NCB that really helped me.

Gutted!!! bloody insurance companys won't let me use the ncd from my van or bike and I've just been quoted a grand!! F**king ridiculous, Im nearly 40 with a clean slate!!!

I originally paid £230 fully comp with protected no claims for my puma. When I swapped over to my van the new quote for the puma went up to £850 (1000 miles per year) as your not allowed to use your no claims discount on two vehicles. My argument was that I obviously can't drive them both at the same time but it fell on deaf ears.
I spoke to A-plan about it, they told me that they would 'consider' my no claims discount and offered me a quote of £650. When I questioned them about the price being more than the cars value, the guy said 'Oh, that's just for this year. Next year will be more than half that'

My opinion? Insurance companies simply make it up as they go along, with the use of a random number generator!

Oh, and 'multi car policies are a load of cods.

The only way you can use NCD from another live policy is by having a multi-car policy in my experience. You can't transfer it from a current live policy on to a new one because it only tends to exist on the one policy only.

i.e. I have my car with 13 years NCD, if I bought another car and insure it I'd start from 0 years NCD on that new policy. Seperate to this I then have 6 years on the bike :roll:

I guess in effect you are telling them this anyway when you say how long you've been driving and declare you've had no accidents in the last 5 years or whatever.

No one will ever understand insurers.

I insured the puma through Sky insurance and they were happy to 'reflect' the NCD I had on the Mondeo. so effectively I have used the same NCD on both cars I have insured through them.

Yup, if I remember correctly Sky did something similar for myself but it was because I had both cars insured with them. I think they gave me 2 or 3 years NCB on the Puma as I used my "9+" (20+ years - this still pi$$es me off) NCB on the Rex.

Insurance companies manipulate the rules to suit themselves. You can't have NCB from another type of vehicle even considered but they penalise other insurance premiums if you have an accident in a different type. Bitter tasting double standards clearly rammed into your mush to digest!!

Had a nightmarish couple of days trying to sort insurance- I've earned my stripes as it were. 15 years plus unblemished motoring behind me both cars and bikes. I've been getting quotes up in the £1000's!!
I was on the verge of getting my dad to insure it and put me on as a named driver, ffs it's like being a teenager all over again. Finally managed to get fully comp for £518. Oh and with an excess of £250 so i only get half back what i paid for it in the event of a loss. Someone needs to look into and take action against the robbing b*stards!!

Back