9 Spokes with Mondeo calipers

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexwilliams840

Hi all, has anyone got the 300mm upgrade with standard wheels? If so what size spacers do you need?

I think with the props you only need 3mm spacers IIRC, so i'd guess 9 spokes would be a similar story. I'm 95% sure that's all you need, but why stop there, just go wide.

I think its just the props which are a bit tight.

The cars that came with them had the 240mm discs.
I guess Ford changed more than the styling when they started using the 9 spoke and bigger discs (258mm)

The props definitely fit over the 280mm Mk2 Mondeo conversion (already has 3mm spacer behind the disc)
but cant say for sure about the 300mm Mk3 Mondeo mod. (just what I heard :wink: )

If i was feeling charitable some time i could throw a prop on mine to see how it fits, although i don't have any small spacers, just 20mm so i couldn't say what the minimum necessary would be.

Thanks guys. I'll give the 9 spokes a trial fit over the 300mm setup and see what needs doing to what

The props need 3 mm spacers with fiesta ST setup. I know that for a fact as I have that combo. The F1 and the Thunder wheels don't need spacers with ST setup (280 mm, fiesta ST 150 calipers).
With 300 mm setup I think the major hurdle is the caliper touching the wheel base, not the sidewall. There is a thread of somebody grinding the calipers to fit them in 15" wheels IIRC with pictures

Thanks for that, I don't want to grind the calipers and I certainly don't want them hitting any part of the rim. I'll just go back to standard brakes if that's the case. I've never been very impressed with the 300mm setup anyway. I've been wanting to get some hi-spec 4 pot calipers with 278mm discs for some time so I think that's the next step

Look at the ST200/any V6 Mk1 and 2 Mondeo or ST150 280mm setup.
15" wheels are much less of an issue.
And there is tons of stopping power, even for track use.
The Puma is only light and doesnt need the whoppers found on the ton and a half RS Focus etc

Hmm, I may look at the Fiesta ST setup but I don't see them being any better than standard but I've not tried them

When you hold it in your hand, you will see teh difference. The caliper is much bigger and stronger, I'd say is heavier by 30% at least. And with discs there is no contest, really. The ST discs are massive compared to 258 mm standard ones

By that standard the 300mm brakes should be better than them. And I'm not happy with 300mm brakes, even when fully rebuilt they feel crap

It could be your master cylinder not coping with the bigger caliper pistons.
I found I had more brake travel till I swapped for a master cylinder the same bore as the Mondeos.

Barry has a good point too.
If air got into the ABS unit when you were doing the caliper swap you would not get it out by normal bleeding.

I've got 300mm on my puma as well and the brakes were ace, although with my ABS shagged I had to get good at controlling wheel lock in a straight line :lol:

Pretty sure there's no air in the system. always bleed with the battery disconnected. I've heard mondeo servo & mc gives better pedal feel

I noticed a huge improvement with the 300mm brakes over standard, and when i drove a boggo one again after a few years with the 300s i almost drove into the car in front the first time i went out. Mine stops on a penny, and the ABS has a wild time on really hard braking.

The earlier black puma master cylinders are supposed to be better with bigger brakes. I have one for sale :thumbs:

with standard pagid pads on the mondeo calipers, proper hard braking should all but crush you rib cage into the seat belt, you need to make sure you have earlier master cylinder and properly bleed the system, standard Vs 300mm should be night and day,

Just to add, design of 9 spokes means they should clear on facing edge, whereas props will need about 3mm spacers, however mondeo calipers will need a shave to fit under 15" alloys
you can always do a test fit, just don't fit pads, and use nut and bolt to hold caliper, if you don't want to drill out caliper mounting at first.

Already have the 300mm fitted, did it a few years ago. Maybe I just got used to them... Lol. I might go for the mk2 Mondeo servo & MC for the pedal feel

Back