ABS

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledzep

Ok this morning driving to work my abs light and wheelspin light came on,so with out going to ford to pay them some extortionate price for them to plug it in,is there anyway i can find out if it is a sensor? Also where can i get sensor from? Thanks

You can test the resistance of each sensor with a multimeter. You should get a reading of about 1050 ohms from each sensor.
Any that are a long way out (by 100 ohms or so) will be faulty.
It is possible to test the fronts by removing each wheel and disconnecting the plug behind the wheel arch liner. Then test the cable going to the sensor.
For the rear you will need to jack up the car and disconnect the sensors (connector in the middle of the rear beam) and test each one individually.
There is another option which will avoid having to crawl about under the car. They can all be tested from under the bonnet.
You will need to remove the battery and battery box to gain better access to the multi plug on the LH side of the ABS module which is tucked away under the brake servo.
It has a plastic locking mechanism which easily slides upwards and then the plug disconnects by pulling towards the front of the car. It is a bit tight to get in there but it is possible.
If you turn the plug round and look at the pins, this is the layout...

Not all of the pins are used. You may need to get some bits of wire to poke into the connectors in order to get your test probes on, but take care not to damage them.
Doing it his way means you don't have to crawl about under the car and remove the wheels. Also it will test the integrity of the connectors and wiring from the ABS module to the sensors.
Hope this helps.
Paul

Wow thanks Paul,but multimeters are beyond me :? im wondering is there local in Kent who may have the software to run a test for me?

Most reputable independants will have diagnostics equipment if you'd rather do it that way.
Sorry, I can't help you there though, I don't know Kent very well :)
Paul

Today when driving off the ABS and traction done its thing went for about 20 mins then came back on so it dint come pretty much straight away like it did the other day,so do you think it could the sensors? Think i order a pair and fit them anyway.

Hi Ledzep
There are 4 altogether, one for each wheel but the back ones are joined together on a loom.
Barry
PS they can be a pig to change so best test with an ohmmeter as Paul (748) says to save yourself needless work.

ledzep said:
Today when driving off the ABS and traction done its thing went for about 20 mins then came back on so it dint come pretty much straight away like it did the other day,so do you think it could the sensors? Think i order a pair and fit them anyway.

I had same behaviour. One of sensors is on brink of dying and it will readout something like 1600 Ohms or even more.
The wire inside is collapsing. You can do a rolling test yourself using forscan and any cheap OBD scanners to see which one is to blame

Latest posts

Back