Air bag warning light

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rynrack

Hi all. Just replaced the interior of my standard 1999 1.7 with a blacks leather interior. All went in fine, only thing is the air bag warning light now constantly flashes when driving along. Is this something I may have disturbed or a complete coincidence?

You either didn't connect the pretensioners, trapped or damaged the pretensioner cable or cables or you need to put the pretensioners from your original seats onto your replacement leather seats. If you also changed the steering wheel there are also further possibilities.

Ahh cheers. Didn't change the steering wheel. But the connection for the pretensioner was different. Had to take the wires out and swap the plastic connection over. I imagine this is what caused it?

Yep you now have an airbag / pretensioner module being upset by the wrong pretensioners. :thumbs:

quest63 said:
Yep you now have an airbag / pretensioner module being upset by the wrong pretensioners. :thumbs:
+1

If you ever swap seats and the connections are different, you have to swap the pretensioners over so you still use the original ones to the car.

So swapping the pretensioners over and putting the original plastic connections back should solve the problem? Any advice on how to swap them over? I'm a bit of a puma noob!

They are held onto the seat with a large torq bolt, size T50 I think. other than that the cables are held onto the bottoms of the seats with a few clips.

You have to bend some of the plastic trims a bit iirc to wiggle them out after unbolting them

Oh yes do it with the seats out of the car.

Just take it slow and take note or piccies of the routing and how they are fitted before removing them. :thumbs:

If you've fitting Thunder leather to an digi-dash car then just put your tensioners on the leather seats.

T50 and a bit of faffing with the plastic side piece, does need the seats back out though.

Probably wise to take them off the cloth seats first, plug them in and see if that cures it before taking the leather back out.

Latest posts

Back