Amp Cutting Out

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighatrist

Hiya Folks
Any ideas as to why my amp cuts out?? The power light stays on ok but the 6x9's and sub cut out quite often. . . . . I have checked all connections and plugs etc and all are ok.

Cheers in advance

Is it intermittent cutting out randomly like a loose connection or does it run for a while then cut out for a while, then come back on?

Could be a bad earth, or you're driving the amp too hard/speakers are too high resistance? Is it fan cooled? It could be temperature related - a lot of amps will auto shut off in the event of a short circuit or getting too hot. Is the fan receiving power? Or there is a connection from your head until to the amp which tells it when to switch on or off which might need attention - separate from the RCA interconnects - quite often the amp will still have a light on to say it's in standby even if it's not receiving a signal (I know mine does).

What amp, speakers and sub are you running?

Kind of randomly yeah, light stays on when it does cut out. Sound usually comes back on after 30 or so seconds.

I'm using this package http://www.bassjunkies.com/subwoofers/bass-packages/edge. Sub is bridged to ch 1 & 2 but gain is about 1/3 the way up, 6x9's have a ch of their own and are about 1/2 way up on gain.

Amp is 1600w 4ch. Sub is 1300w max RMS approx 600w 6x9's are 300w max RMS approx 100

I dont think they are over powered but i have noticed the backlight on the clocks dimming at times so i think a power cap might be required.

Cheers Rob

does it cut out after heavy bass notes?
might not be getting enough power so like you said a power cap is needed and maybe check what your alternator and battery are like

check all connections,and make sure the earth is as short as possible and connected to the body work,not to the boot catch as some people do

Qwertben said:
maybe check what your alternator and battery are like

This is on my 'to do' list as the battery has run flat a couple of times.

martinthrapston said:
make sure the earth is as short as possible and connected to the body work,not to the boot catch as some people do

Earth is connected to the rear seat bracket so is less than a metre in length.

Ben, all connections have been checked and no loose or frayed wires can be seen. I do have the proper connectors for the wires to amp fitted so i doubt very much it is a connection issue.

el dude said:
without doubt its the quality of the amp..

Better amp required then i guess :D

A metre!? My earth is a few inches, also attached under the rear seat bracket but my amp is mounted in the boot. Did you sand down to bare metal?

Gratuitous shot of my amp in situ:
x5.JPG

Reading your woes makes me all the happier I had Chris (el dude) do mine!!

Sanded down to bare metal yes, the amp is screwed to the top of the sub enclosure so I think the bass may be causing it to cut out. I'm not a real big fan of screwing amps to the back seats for some reason, no idea why, just personal preference I think. If I can persuade the other half, I would look into doing a boot build of sort in fibreglass same colour as the car. But there's ''other things'' to spend money on :shock:

SkyHighatrist said:
I'm not a real big fan of screwing amps to the back seats
Neither am I particularly, but it's too ruddy big to fit under the passenger seat, and I do need to use the boot so needed it as out of the way as possible!

Back