Stalling and Speedo Problem

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maellis

Help please, my puma has a couple of problems.

• The car keeps stalling. This happens when you break fairly hard. The revs just drop so the car stalls. If you break very gently it doesn’t stall and has no problems starting up after it has stalled. My mechanic has said he has checked all the vacuum pipes and the air flow meter. Can anyone give me any ideas on what could be causing this.
  • The speedo and odometer don’t work. My mechanic has told me that this is due to the worm drive in the top of the gearbox being broken. Unfortunately he can’t get the retaining pin out of the part on the gearbox to replace it and has said the only thin he can do is remove the gearbox to change this part. This will be expensive and I wondering if anyone knows any other method to remove this part.
I’m not sure if theses problems are connected but they both appeared at the same time.

I'm no expert, but if it was my car, I'd clean the MAF and check the throttle body butterfly.
I assume it's an early Puma, with an analogue speedometer and I understand they can break and it's a gearbox out job, but once again I must state that I'm no expert.

To check if the speedo is working run an electric drill on the sensor. If the speedo works it is the drive and a gearbox out job I am afraid. Same happened to me.
Best of luck.

Regards,
Richard.

Back