Auxiliary belt noise - I think..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi all

Noise can be heard as soon as I start the engine, its sounds like zip-zip-zip-zip :| and lasts around 20 min of driving, so the engine is well up to temp by then, after that it disappears.
If I put her into neutral while driving, the noise slows down and gets quieter, but if I drive in gear or pump the gas pedal in neutral, the noise gets a bit louder and faster as the rpm raises.
Cambelt and auxiliary belt change was done 2 years ago, done around 10.000 miles since.
Apart from this noise, the engine starts and runs great.
Cheers

Could be the belt or the alternator bearings.
Spray a little silicone on the belt while its running. If it stops, you have your answer.

Rob.

Robyorks said:
[post]364796[/post] Could be the belt or the alternator bearings.
Spray a little silicone on the belt while its running. If it stops, you have your answer.

Rob.
Thanks for the reply Rob. Is WD40 okay to use? Is the symptoms show the noise coming from the cambelt or auxiliary belt? Thanks

Should be ok, just make sure you aim at the belt and don't go mad with it. If it is the belt, you should notice a difference from just a little blast.
Just try that first, see what happens. Not something you can diagnose without being there.

Rob.

Robyorks said:
[post]364807[/post] Should be ok, just make sure you aim at the belt and don't go mad with it. If it is the belt, you should notice a difference from just a little blast.
Just try that first, see what happens. Not something you can diagnose without being there.

Rob.
Thanks very much Rob, I'll try that tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back