Because one just isn't enough..

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this photo of Puma and it made me sad that I'm getting rid of my two... :cry:

They're just so impractical for my life right now :(

Reggie has been saved by Adrian Flux who have just insured him for something I don't think is too silly (although is double what I pay now, ouch). However I seem to have more freedom on this policy so that's a perk. Thanks to Dan@AdrianFlux.

Trying something out with the door cards as I am not a fan of the alchemy interiors. I've not seen a puma "black" interior in the flesh so unsure of the colour of the door card itself - is it sort of off-black?

Anyway, here it is:

I've seen it called Medium Dark Graphite or Midnight Black. ETIS for mine calls it Medium Dark Graphite.

Occurs to me that I should've picked up my socks before took that.. :oops:

Mines is now Rustoleum Satin Black. Looks well I think.

ArtfulHussy said:
Occurs to me that I should've picked up my socks before took that.. :oops:

Mines is now Rustoleum Satin Black. Looks well I think.

I thought that was your colour match ;-)

Looks good...

It is still a wee bit tacky, I think it might dry a little flatter. I did the bit for the speaker ages ago and it is much more matt than the rest of door, which I only did last night. We shall see. I think it's nice because it's properly jet black. Hoping it will add a touch of class to the inside of the car eventually. Still need to work out what I'm doing with my sun visors - they currently clash against the black headliner. This all-surface paint could be a good idea though.

It is absolutely lashing down rain here today which has totally scuppered my car plans.

Wee (big?) update, pic heavy.

The rain eventually stopped almost long enough to get some things looked at.

I decided that, although Reggie's wheels are buckled and need chucked, I was so sick of looking at them all scabby, kerbed and simply uncleanable that I would give them a decent rub down, prime and gloss black.

Before:

After:

Wee bit of primer overspray I haven't cleaned off yet.

Whilst he was in the air though I fixed the broken heat shield with some Pepsi can cuttings. I will likely purchase a new heat shield at some point. Is it possible to stop them rotting like this? I wondered if putting wee rubber washers/grommets on would help?

I also decided to investigate the damp carpet in both front footwells. I suspected the scuttle drain (which I haven't looked at yet) but thought I would go right ahead and pull the carpet back to see if there's bad rot underneath.

What I found was not only completely wringing, it was hoaching. No wonder Reggie was always steamed up inside!

Driver's side:

I think that's my VIN!?!!?!
And to top it off, the grommet has obviously long since disappeared.

Passenger side:

When I pulled the carpet back a big metal bracket looking thing fell down from behind the dash. I have no idea what it is for and forget to take a photo. It was so rotten though I lobbed it in the bin.

All the floor insulation and most of the bulkhead insulation has gone in the bin. One that note - what would you recommend to reinsulate the bulkhead?

Barry - this is the plate that was welded for me (to the tune of £150!!)

You can actually see daylight around the back edge of the plate.

And some photos of other welding that needs done...

Sooo.. At the moment I'm scratching my head a little. I am settled on the fact that Reggie will be sold on, as I lust too strongly for something with more grunt. I will be keeping Puma in the meantime as I'm unsure what to do with her. Problem at the moment is putting together a master plan for selling Reggie. He is currently on coilovers with st170 brakes all round yadda yadda. I will be changing the 170 brakes for 150 fronts and still deciding on rears, but I have a brand new 421 mani sitting and a powdercoat front upper brace. I'm not sure it's worth fitting either of these??

What are your opinions on the best "set up" for selling him on? The welding will be getting done along with a body overhaul and respray I imagine, and possibly a cambelt/waterpump/tensioner change. I will have him serviced and stamped also, even though I can do that myself. At least it'll be in the book? I've already got some smaller mods in motion, such as the FRP airbox mod and a cold intake. If I am doing these would it be worth putting the 421 on after all?

ArtfulHussy said:
All the floor insulation and most of the bulkhead insulation has gone in the bin. One that note - what would you recommend to reinsulate the bulkhead?

I would try with K-Flex.

It is closed cell foam, so it won't soak in any water. It is used to insulate airconditioning passages in big buildings. Cheap and effective. Both sound and heat insulation.
Have a look here http://www.k-flex.com/products/elastomers/k-flex-st-duct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is produced in various thicknesses.

Hi Emma
I wish I could get £150 a time for welding in patches like that, was he called Mr Hood by any chance?
Barry

tuonokid said:
Hi Emma
I wish I could get £150 a time for welding in patches like that, was he called Mr Hood by any chance?
Barry

:(
I didn't get it looked at proper til I got home because the state of his workshop made it difficult to get under. Also he had it for about two fkn weeks and I just wanted the car back.

I was thinking of hiring a welder for a week and having a go myself. I have only done practices on sheet metal before but I still think I could do better than that!

Finally got my finger out and, with the help of my other half, played musical cars and Reggie is now in the garage with his doors off as an added bonus. I'm hoping to get going with repairing his floor pans this summer, as well as a general overhaul if possible. Would like to do some proper engine work and get the bay tidied up and such like.

Barry, if you're reading this, do you think it would be a toral disaster if I bought myself a welder and had a pop at mending the floorpans myself? I don't know anything about welders really so no idea where to start on what to buy! If anyone has any advice on this it would be appreciated.

Hi Emma
It depends on how much spare time you have and patience as well as the whole job is a lot more than just welding. Most of the time you'll spend will be in preparation and finishing rather than just welding. Plus you will burn yourself every time you get the welder out and will end up covered in grinding dust. Do you know anyone that does their own welding as my best advice is to visit them whilst they are working and ask to have a go then you can see if it's for you.
As for Welders I have a Cebora (same as Snap on) and I wouldn't have anything else (don't buy Gasless, they are hopeless).
Barry

Hmm, not sure I'm loving the sound of that to be honest! I can just already see costs spiralling on bodywork to get it sound :(

If you have no experience in welding it's going to be like real hard. That floor looks real bad, not to mention how bad the rest of the car will be be. Prepare for a lot of work once you get started. Here is the one I welded completely but didn't get to the floorpan yet. It's really on hell of a job and will take all your spare time
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=29080

Oh god I forgot how much rust this car has... I wish I hadn't looked at the photos :shock:

Aaaanyroad.. I dug the car out from under all the crap in the garage at the weekend, it started no bother with a jump. It has been off the road since around Nov/Dec 2015. I'm looking to get the doors put back on it, does anyone have any pro-tips for doing so? They were such a pig to get off that we bent two of the pins (I've spoken to Ian G about getting a couple to replace them).

Back