Boot gas struts advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not tried them myself. The originals did just that when my car was newer, sadly you can only get the near side strut from Ford now. The right hand side one is no longer available, Sod's law that's the one with the connection for the high level brake light.

Would love to know if they're any good!

Don't know to be honest mate, if the right hand strut doesn't have the connection (it's an earth) for the brake light, you could always create another link with a bit of wire and a self tapper fairly easily.

The boot isn't normally supposed to open on its own when it pops/opens.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the connection through the strut is actually a live not a negative, as it is actually joined to the the brake light on the drivers side!

CherryVimto said:
The boot isn't normally supposed to open on its own when it pops/opens.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the connection through the strut is actually a live not a negative, as it is actually joined to the the brake light on the drivers side!

Hmmm, you could be right, let me go and get my test light!

Mine definitely used to pop all the way up, first few inches slowly, then quicker to fully extended..

Yep, Cherry Vimto is spot on, it's the live not earth. Note to self, be sure before giving advice in the future!

This is the bottom connection...

And the top..

Hi, just renewing this post as I got round to getting a near side strut. Just wanted help with 2 things then:

1) Any instructions about on how to remove / fit the strut.

2) Any advice on where to get a brand new drivers side? I don't really want a scrapper one as it's most likely n ot gonna be any better than what I've got.

Thanks

Is there any reason not to go for FeBi brand new strut? AFAIK they can be normally bought? The parts number is 27769, or browse the complete catalogue here: http://cars.febi-parts.com/vehicle.php?r_manufacturer=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, I can't post a direct link, sorry. It is done in Java or something similar. Choose the puma, 1.7 engine, 125 PS and then you will have a list of parts for it. Gas pressure spring. Or go to direct search with 27769 part number

Latest posts

Back