Boot pneumatic arms

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gebbly

Does anyone know :

the proper name for the 2 pneumatic arms that open the boot.?
the part number?
usual price?

and lastly, how to replace them? Having a cursory look it seems like a couple of wires to disconnect (just unplug?) and then a couple of bolts on each arm. Or is it more serious than that?

thanks

If you've got a brake light in the boot, spade connectors on the right hand one just pull off.

Then both arms have a saddle bar at either end, prize that up with a flat blade screwdriver (don't need to completely remove but they will tend to fly off, either cover it with your hand or watch where it goes)

After the saddles are lifted the arms will come free with a little pull.

Their typically called gas struts. Not sure on part numbers or new price, between £5-£10 used although in my experience they all corrode and start looking a bit tatty, rare to find nice ones used.

Thanks for that Ian.

I found http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2_tailgate_gas_strut_f_1321021.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but they want £43 for a Focus mk2 single strut!?

only other place I found was http://www.tailgatestruts.com/gsc1399-ford-puma-tailgate-strut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
at £15 a strut

Huge price difference. Is there something I should know about getting a particular strut? Would the SGS one be ok? didnt find any hits for the 2 phase strut I have seen discussed.

Any advice out there?

SGS covered by 2 year warranty if you replace a pair for £37.54 all in sounds ok to me.

£33.80, delivered from Germany:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370935680901?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks all. Several things I read said best to replace both at struts once to avoid uneven pressure on the boot lid. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the cheaper spot on ebay.

I have read in a few places about "2 phase" struts which open vigorously at first and then slow down as the boot lid goes higher. Are any of the above items these "2 phase" struts or does anyone know when they can be got from?

This thread reminded me that when a Puma was relatively new, hitting the remote boot release button in hot weather would actually open the boot to full height. Used to be fun in car parks if people were close to it.

:grin:

"On my command unleash hell" :)

I'd been meaning to look into sorting the struts for some time but the other day my partner banged her head on the boot lid catch because it doesnt open as much as it used to without some force from me pushing it open.

I remember the good old days when it would respond to the remote control like an eager puppy lifting its tale thinking it was going for a run. After 10 years I'm slowly going around repairing or replacing various worn parts.

Just a quick question….. is my Moondust Silver Puma (1999 1.7) meant to open her boot fully when I press the remote or just unlock it? At the moment it just unlocks. I'm guessing there'll be some new struts on my Christmas list if it's meant to open fully. :lol:

No, some people prefer it to but as far as I've ever seen (except on hot summer days) it simple pops the boot so you can lift it and then they should do their thing.

Myself I have fitted one reinforced strut. It's more than enough power to open the boot fully, quickly. Some of our Dutch members have a rather heavy spoiler and it doesn't complain at all. Send me a PM if you want the link to that shop in Germany, they are about €35. Mine's been on for 4 years now without any problem.

Thanks Sjoerd, I've sent my brother the sgs link and dropped him an unsubtle christmas hint :)

I just replaced both my struts with sgs ones, as pleased as one can be with struts. The boot just pops open, but then it is very easy to lift till nearly fully open, then another small push to fully open it. Previously the boot would slowly close if you had your head in it. Many gouged scalps from the lock. I'm guessing in the summer when it's warm I'll be able to use it to launch my daughter over the school fence. The SGS ones don't have the electrical connectors for the brake light though.

Back