Braided brake hoses warning/lesson Wezmoto

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogee

I fitted front braided hoses branded 'Wezmoto' in summer 2019. Less than two years later they've been picked up at MoT (though not 'failed' - my tester and I have an understanding!).

Pretty disappointing given they were £35/pair. I'm going to fit some Unipart ones for about £22 the pair. I don't drive hard and indeed I haven't even done 5000 miles since the braided ones were fitted. Unipart were always OK in the Old Days when I worked in a garage, so hopefully they'll last a bit longer.

I should imagine there are some decent makes for braided hoses available via the usual outlets (eg Demon Tweeks) but I bet they're a whole lot more expensive. Lesson learned: buy cheap, buy twice.

HEL braided brake lines front pair (stainless steel fittings) - £44.98, delivered.
HEL braided brake lines front and rear pairs (stainless steel fittings) - £89.96, delivered.
Choice of 13 colours.

I've had HEL ones on my Quantum 2+2 for at least 6 years, absolutely fine, the previous Goodridge ones had rusted ferrules and was mentioned by my MOT tester, that it would probably be an advisory in a couple of years. i always ask him to let me know if he spots anything that needs doing.

Hi.
A few years back I swapped my hoses for braided ones, to be honest I did not notice any difference. Last year the started to look a bit manky so I swapped the out for standard Unipart. Again I did not notice any difference. So on the basis that there appears no difference to be gained by swapping to braided hoses I will in future just use stock items. Has any one who has fitted braided hoses actually noticed and difference.

Regards,
Richard.

What was the make of braided hoses you used?
I found the advantage of HEL is, I no longer get "rusty ferrules" listed on the MOT.

I've heard from avid road racers that they made a world of difference in stopping power, but I suspect the average driver who isn't so familiar with the limits of their car probably wont notice much.
Or if the car stopping power is limited by traction (as most normal street cars are) and not by hydraulic pressure than it probably wont make a bit of difference either.

My view is that if you're having to replace the hoses, a common MOT advisory/failure, it makes more sense to replace them with stainless ones, (with SS fittings), as they will last for a very long time, unlike standard hoses. If my standard hoses need replacing, I'll certainly use HEL hoses. Wether there is an improvement is to me a secondary consideration.

I got some pics because the eBay seller showed a 'lifetime' warranty so I reckoned it can't hurt to try and claim on it.

To his credit he's going to send me a pair of replacements although not sure whether I'll fit them or not.

Pics for info

Attachments

• IMG_20210413_190846.jpg
    IMG_20210413_190846.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210413_190954.jpg
    IMG_20210413_190954.jpg
    958.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20210413_191402.jpg
    IMG_20210413_191402.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 46
Try using teflon tape in the threads to interfere with the contact point between the stainless and the carbon steel. That might help. And make sure the stainless isnt touching steel anywhere else...use rubber insulators if you have to.
The teflon might not be good enough to make a difference but its cheap and easy.

Latest posts

Back