Brakes for track day

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryCooper76

Hi,

I'm just sorting a 1.7 puma for a Road car only track day.

Regarding the brakes I have read and understand the st170 disks with Mondeo mk3 calipers and carriers idea but will cost around £130 with good pads.

My question here is using the original disk and calipers does anyone have good idea or recommend brake pads and fluid to use on a track day.

The last thing I want is to only do a few laps before the pads/fluid over heat.

thanks for any advise in advance

Gary

Hi Gary,

I followed the same principle as you.
I chose Ferodo DS2500 pads, Gulf RF800 brake fluid and Goodridge hoses.

I haven't been on track with them yet so this is road experience but I bought these with intentions of track use.

The pads are phenomenal. Iv done some hard braking with them and they are just awesome. They are expensive but in my opinion they are well worth the money. In terms of track life span they are highly recommended for track use (they where recommended by a guy who works for M-Tech on the WRC cars.

I chose the fluid based on the fact that on paper its very similar to Motul RBF600 in terms of Equilibrium Reflex Boiling Point Wet & Dry. The gulf is slightly cheaper than the Motul which is why I chose to use it.

The hoses are as expected really.

In a nut shell these three upgrades have completely transformed my cars stopping power. For people who don't want to change there disc size id highly recommend these. I use Brembo Max 260mm discs as well.

PaulZ

In my case I should point out that my car isn't purely for track.

Hence the lack of larger brakes but I figured that 260mm with track "inspired fluid & pads would be better than 280/300 with road pads and fluid.

PaulZ

My 300mm setup with basic mintex pads managed 30k+ miles which included a lot of heavy braking (I only brake when absolutely necessary :lol: ) along with 32 laps around the Nurburgring without a hint of fade unlike the original setup which faded when you looked at them :lol:

Back