Budget Puma TURBO Project!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the 4 wire lambda, with 2 white wires, a grey, and a black, the black wire is the signal. The 2 white wires are the heater for the lambda, and i think the grey is ECU earth, but im not 100% on the grey, but black is definately the signal. On mine, i wired the constant live to ignition, the light live to my lights, fixed the 2 earths together and wired them to the engine earth strap at the back of the engine, and the green wire on mine which was the signal, to the black lambda!
And yes, its a 1.7:1 powerboost valve, if you use 1 off a turbo, it only raises the fuel pressure 1:1, wich is great for a turbo, but no good for a turbo conversion. If you use a N/A powerboost valve, it would make a turbo engine run too rich, but on a force fed application like mine, its great, and because it gives that extra fuel on boost, i think off the top of my head, my fuel rail pressure goes up to 4 bar! I replaced my standard regulator, so just remember if your going to replace yours, you need a fuel rail adaptor, as the cheapest ive seen them is about £20 including postage. Or you can use your standard regulator with an adjustable FMU.

Sounds good mate. We will defo get some videos of this carn't wait to give you a blast now you sorted the restriction out. Try and make a camera mount pointing forward so you watch me pull away :lol:

Ha ha if i make a camera mount, ill have to face it out the back window so i can see you getting left!! VVC mini is the guy with the rover coupe who left me behind when my car wasnt running right, but thats all in the past now!! Im going to pay the money and get my milltek plumbed into a better flowing downpipe, and get the cat cut out and flanged so i can have it decat when i want, and bolt the cat back in for MOT time! Tried it with the standard down pipe today to see if the cat is blocked, but it runs fine with the downpipe, so definately just the restrictive exhaust. So the options are get another exhaust and keep my miltek on my silver puma, or get the custom downpipe made, but then have to put my silver puma back to standard, and sell the minifold!

Made some bonnet lifters today, not everybodys cup of tea, but for the heat the engine is going to be producing, i thought it might help vent some of that hat air out the engine bay!
17022010222.jpg

17022010223.jpg

Also people have been asking about the manifold, i cant get any good pics, as there just isnt enough space in the engine bay, but these are the best i can get of where the turbo bolts onto the manifold!
17022010225.jpg

17022010229.jpg

17022010226.jpg

17022010224.jpg

Hope these help??

Ive just made this, and yes, i know, ive got far too much time on my hands!! :lol:
Can you guess what it is yet??? :?:
17022010235.jpg

Its a mount for my camera, fits on both seats, and will take video from over the shoulder of the driver!
17022010234.jpg

17022010231.jpg

Its because people want to see video of it in action, and with this, it shouldnt be a problem. I can manufacture these to order, £3000 a piece fitted, state of the art, who wants one????? :cool: SonnyP, how many can i put you down for??

BlackKnight, surely i can put you down for 1 for your beast, 3 grand is a small price to pay for this hand crafted piece of art work :wink:
This is whittled out of some of the finest MDF ever made. Nice exhaust by the way, looks proper smart with the carbon fibre.

Well the trip to the exhaust place was a waste of time, the guy couldnt get a tight enough radius on the 2.5" pipe, the powersteering pipes were in the way for what he had, so ill have to get new custom power steering pipes made up before i can get that done, and he wanted £200 for a mild steel centre section, which is too expensive for a mild steel pipe, so came away empty handed annoyingly!! But while the downpipe was off, we decided to take some pics of the turbo and pipes, you can see how close it is to the driveshaft!
18022010236.jpg

18022010237.jpg

Just a quick update, my Turbo isnt running properly yet, hopefully ill get the bends for my custom downpipe tommorow!! Then ill have a real vid to show you, but me and my mate were having a bit of fun, and thought wed get a video up!! I do get beat, but up to 5000rpm, i beat him. Hes running at about 143bhp per tonne, its alot lighter then the puma, the puma as standard is 120bhp per tonne, and considering ive got a turbo, theres not much lag, i beat him off the line, and he only pulls back after 5000rpm when i loose power, but thats where the most power should be, on the last 2000-2500 rpm, so should be great once the issues are sorted!! Just look at his suspension when he changes gear, its worth a watch just to see that!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44vhcUju8ps[/youtube]

Sorry about the sound, the window was open, and started making a horrible noise.
More Vids to follow!!! :D

that metro looks quick, you did a good job keeping in front at first. Nice sound when you change gear by the way. ;)

Ha ha, thanks, we put that engine in the metro the day before we filmed that!! Its annoying that i dont have the power over 5000rpm, i think id have left him for dead if i had the full power, as hes still got standard tires on it, so even if he had the power to beat me,hed just spin the tires!! I have 215-45-16s on mine, and i can spin the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd!!! Im just waiting for some 90degree bends to get the exhaust gasses flowing better out the engine. It cant get rid of the gasses quick enough, so once it reaches its max capacity of gas it can flow (5000rpm in my case) it wont flow any more then that. Swapping the 45mm cat back to a 63mm custom cat back raised the power loss from 4000rpm to 5000rpm. The downpipe is incredibly restrictive, its like a 70degree right angle bend straight out the turbo, and my cat is partially blocked, so im getting a radius bend and a decat. If im still not reaching full potential, ill have to get either high lift exhaust cam, or bigger exhaust valves, or both!! Thats when ill have to start spending big money!! So ill see what im getting with the decat.
Theres a lot of people on here who think that with the money ive spent, its not possible to get the power im expecting, so now only time will tell if they are right!!!

Its not a standard cat off either car, its a sport cat, looks the same as the 1 fitted to my miltek system.
Another possibility could be that my timing is slightly out, ive timed this engines up loads of times, but thats not to say i couldnt have done it slightly out this time. I doubt that though, as i always double check when i do something so critical, but ill give it a check anyway!

Back