Calliper Grinding

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexwilliams840

Hi all, looking to talk to someone who has shaved a bit off the Mondeo callipers to get them to fit under standard wheels.

Not interested in getting told to buy 16's as I already have them on my car.

No experience as i opted against this.
The reason...

Even when ground, the caliper is REALLY close to the wheel.
it`d take a tiny pebble to stop you in your tracks AND there`s no-where for the heat to go!

I went for 280mm mondeo (ST150 are almost identical) which fit comfortably under 15`s (even propellers)

I started to grind a bit off but the 'bit' ended up quite a lot. In the end I stopped and fitted bigger wheels.
For the amount I had to take off, I think it's a bloody stupid idea. Wasn't a lot metal left by the carrier bolt.

Ok, someone else has done it without any problems, but the way I see it is the calipers are constructed the way they are for a reason.

Would we shave a lump off a tyre coz it fouls the arch?

Mk1 or 2 Mondeo V6 (st200 etc) calipers and discs. requires a 3mm spacer and caliper bolts shortening by 4-5mm and the bolt holes drilling out to 12.5mm.
Dead easy and cheap too.
The stopping power is more than I need on track..

The 300mm Mondeo calipers are tight even shaved on 15", 3mm spacers are needed on props ideally as well, 9 spokes spacers not needed, you would also need to static balance wheels as you can't put stick on weights where caliper would come into contact.
The difference between standard Puma, and Mondeo calipers and ST170 discs, means heat isn't a problem, even heavy track use will barely gets them warm.

obviously shaving does thin out the intrinsic strength, is there a way of calculating max calculated load/stress/inertia on an ST220 Vs what could be created by a Puma, comparing aero dynamics weight, top speeds....... and does the amount shaved at critical points exceed that, I doubt anyone ever has, or ever will calculate, and would ford release the calculations and design derived from that for the ST220 and what safety factor was used?

I have no idea on any of the above, but having done a bit in R&D in past, know that sometimes a part is needed, something is already available that is as cheap as getting something specified, that is tested to prove meets standard needed, and used, even though its complete over kill, I have no idea who made calipers, and what else the basic casting was based on, but without knowing, choice is yours, there will be people on both sides of fence, and many sitting on it.

Something getting stuck between wheel and caliper is a dubious, but possible arguement, and would be something I would love to see tested Mythbusters style, standard car, fit a 300mm disc and caliper one side only and drive into deep gravel trap, drag car out, see what happens when you try and drive,

my guess would be at worst, stone would gouge alloy slightly if it did become stuck, and then flicked out, as wheel alloy is very soft compared to a stone, but could it get in there in first place, as would have to be small to get in.......... I'll give up my ramblings now

Yeah decided to just go and buy the mk2 set up. £150 for the lot, including a rebuild kit for the callipers. Happy days

300mm Mondeo brakes won't fit under the standard Puma propeller rims. You would completely destroy the caliper grinding it to fit. However there are rims that fit with minial grinding. I used R15 Momo replicas.

I don't have props. Doesn't matter anyway, I have the st200 setup on it's way. Hoping to make my car look a bit more stock for when the turbo is refitted

Back