Cambelt Cover Causing horrible vibration noise

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike046

Hi all, as per my previous post in the HELP section, i thought my clutch was making a grinding noise, it turns out now that its the cambelt plastic cover, the noise is very loud around 1500-2300 revs.

Ive noticed that 2 bolts are missing, anyone know what size bolts go into the cover? Also the padding around the cover seems to of deteriorated abit, anyone know what i could use rather then buying another cover?

The cambelt cover isnt that simple to change iirc i.e. other stuff has to come off to access the bolts to remove it

I've just had the cambelt changed, but it was making that noise before I got it changed.

10mil, great, does it matter how long they are?

well as long as it doesnt stick out it should be fine matey

From memory you want M6 x 20 (they have a 10mm head) might be worth putting a shakeproof washer on with them too.

I would be inclined to think it was the belt tensioner not set right, I fired all sorts of bolts into my timing cover in the hope it was that and it wasnt lol, quick test is to put your finger between the 2 pulleys under the belt and lift upwards. If it can be lifted more than a few mm its not right

V220 said:
I would be inclined to think it was the belt tensioner not set right, I fired all sorts of bolts into my timing cover in the hope it was that and it wasnt lol, quick test is to put your finger between the 2 pulleys under the belt and lift upwards. If it can be lifted more than a few mm its not right

Ok where abouts is the best way to get to it without removing all the crap? Under the engine on the right?

if you take out the 2 top bolts of the timing cover you can pull it across far enough to access the belt, give it a pull up over and if theres a fair amount of lift in it that points to it. Handy to get someone to run the car while you have your ear over the top of it to pin point the noise

But not handy to still have your fingers under the belt while you do that, unless your changing your name from Spike to stumpy :D :D

Lmfao, not replying because not long back from work ;) I'm going to visit my fiances grandmother tomorrow, doing abit of photography Sunday for someone in the morning, Sunday afternoon ill check, as I need to try and wash off a load if oil off my engine and gear box after the rocker cover went... Will try and find the troublesome noise then give the car a wash and polish as she's very oily :) thanks for the help, ill keep you posted!

Check one of the bolts hasn't come out of the heat shield where it attaches in the engine bay. One of mine did and the noise/vibration was unbelievable.

V220 said:
if you take out the 2 top bolts of the timing cover you can pull it across far enough to access the belt, give it a pull up over and if theres a fair amount of lift in it that points to it. Handy to get someone to run the car while you have your ear over the top of it to pin point the noise

Hmmm...i think it maybe the Cambelt tensioner???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZlCi7O4Qh4[/youtube]

I dont know how true it is but I believe I heard the failure rate of the tensioner is as high as the failure rate of the cambelt and I would guess can be just as disasterous.

I believe its also possible that the tensioner could be making noise if it hasnt been set up properly

To be honest I have not done this job and dont recall hearing of anyone just changing the tensioner, but I believe at least to a large degree its the same job. The following link should help you figure it out.

http://www.justanswer.com/uk-ford/4vo5b-ford-getting-ready-replace-cambelt-ford-puma-1-7-i.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back