car hiring query

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenF

as I have not hired a car since the old green paper licences were replaced I wonder if anyone can advise me: if I want to hire a car do I need the paper part of my licence as well as the plastic card?

secondly, is the situation any different if I want to hire a car abroad?

thanks in advance

both parts, in both the UK, and in Europe, when I have hired cars.

I often hire from enterprise, they also ask for proof of address, as well as licence. Card payments only :)

More and more hire places now no longer accept cheque as deposit, most need credit card now which is a bugger if like me you do not have a credit card :?

And yes deffo both parts of licence plus proof of address/id

You can phone DVLA for a licence check if you forget the green bit, but it will cost you most of the £5 noted above at the rate they charge per minute.

This is always a nightmare on dealer days. We tell the delegates (sales and service staff) on the joining instructions that if they want to take part in the driving activities for whatever new car they are to see, they must bring BOTH parts of the licence with them

And how many do?

Grrrr! :evil:

Remember too, if you use a debit card they take the deposit money there and then, you get it back on the card after the vehicle is returned.

BenF said:
hmm all good stuff, but I am likely to want to hire a car abroad and it is sounding like a nightmare!

cheers anyway

I've hired in cyprus, not a problem (might be now though!)

Back