car not starting? can only start when its bump started

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spesh1234

Hi there guys! i am getting sick of having to bump start my car now.
here are the things ive done to try and be able to start my car:
1. changed spark plugs
2. replaced rocker cover gasket
3. replaced fuel filter
4. made sure it has oil and other fluids etc
5. replaced coolant temperature sensor by the right side of the engine
6. replaced battery
7. replaced alternator

the car ticks over fine but it will just not fire! and once i have bump started it, it is fine for the day as long as i keep started it every 2-3 hours. but once ive left it over night or any long period of time (around 10-12 hours) i will have to bump it again :/. the battery and alternator is charging fine as i have tested it. i have noticed the starting problem getting worser as it has got colder :/

Can somebody please help me! :(

spesh1234 said:
Hi there guys! i am getting sick of having to bump start my car now.
here are the things ive done to try and be able to start my car:
1. changed spark plugs
2. replaced rocker cover gasket
3. replaced fuel filter
4. made sure it has oil and other fluids etc
5. replaced coolant temperature sensor by the right side of the engine
6. replaced battery
7. replaced alternator

the car ticks over fine but it will just not fire! and once i have bump started it, it is fine for the day as long as i keep started it every 2-3 hours. but once ive left it over night or any long period of time (around 10-12 hours) i will have to bump it again :/. the battery and alternator is charging fine as i have tested it. i have noticed the starting problem getting worser as it has got colder :/

Can somebody please help me! :(

I know you say the battery is fine but that really sounds like a faulty one to me. I would try a known good battery on it and see what happens.

Probably not the case in this instance but worth mentioning as it's a common occurrence....

When you start the car give the fuel pump time to prime first before firing up the car. Should hear the pump whirr for a second or two after turning on ignition, then fire it up.

The above mention of something draining battery a bit could be a cause. I had an LED interior light and noticed that it actually stayed on really, really low when it was switched off. Didn't use much power but my car was generally stood for weeks and did cause a problem once.

Tried all of those things with the battery guys but still doing the same :/ i have had people say it could be a sensor thats stopped working? Could it be the crank sensor? What is the crank sensor?

Could it be a sticky/dying starter motor? Bumping it helps to free it up but over time it looses the will to live?

Bit of a long shot, as the car is still working without being bumped, but I can't think of anything else, apart from possibly having loose earth cables somewhere?

Hi,

Many years ago I had the exact same problem on a Vauxhall I owned, It turned out to be a hair line crack in the distributor cap causing an electrical leakage.
Now I know things have moved on, but my point is it could be a similar type of electrical problem on the ignition system of the Puma say on the coil pack.
Best of luck finding the problem, I know what a pain it can be.

Regards,
Richard.

My experience is that the puma engine is very sensitive to voltage drops and battery clamps sometimes makes a bad connection. You also seem to have something draining the battery overnight.

Do you have access to a fault code reader?

Measure with an ampere meter between battery positive and positive clamp. Should show 0A. Don't try to start the car when measuring and use 10A range on multimeter at first.

Clean the battery terminal clamps with a wire brush.
Make sure battery clamps are so tight you can't move them by hand with force.

Back