changing power steering fluid

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfie74

how do i drain out the power steering fluid to replace with new?

also, whats the best way of changing brake fluid without having to bleed it afterwards

cheers

As far as I'm aware there isn't a method to change your brake fluid which doesn't require the brakes not to be bleed afterwards and quiet frankly I can't understand why you would want to change the brake fluid without bleeding them either.....

Changing the power steering fluid can be messy if not done correctly.
You can remove the power steering pipe from the return from the reservoir and use the power of the pump to push the fluid through the system and into a drain can.
Then add a little bit of fresh fluid back into the reservoir and flush the old fluid through using the same method.
Once you've flushed the system through, re attach the power steering pipe and fill the reservoir with fresh power steering fluid.
Turn the engine on and move the steering wheel from side to side to remove air bubbles, make sure the reservoir cap is left off for this and top up the reservoir as needed.

Failing this, search on YouTube on how to change the power steering fluid, as it's pretty universal for the majority of cars.

Bentleya said:
[post]361505[/post] As far as I'm aware there isn't a method to change your brake fluid which doesn't require the brakes not to be bleed afterwards and quiet frankly I can't understand why you would want to change the brake fluid without bleeding them either.....
Theoretically, you could replace the brake fluid without bleeding them if you had a bottle that could be screwed on top of the existing brake reservoir. Screw it on, or a big funnel large enough to hold a liter of braking fluid or so, and top it up with fresh fluid. I would recommend to go for ATe as it can be had in two colours. Get a colour different to the existing one so you will notice when the fresh one is all the way in the system. Push the brake pistons all the way in to squeeze the old fluid out of calipers. Once funnel is full, just unscrew the bleeding nipples and the fluid will start dripping out. As long as the funnel is air tight connected and full of fresh fluid with the top exposed to open air pressure it will go slowly in the system. Once the fresh fluid (different in colour) appears at bleeding nipple, you are done. This will work on front brakes no problem, I am not sure on the rears as the lines are long(ish) and there is no drop. If you raised the front end you would help a bit. However, this would be a time consuming operation, but it can be done

As above, but it seems overly complicated especially when bleeding your brakes isn't particularly a hard procedure to do.

I'd fill the bottle and bleed out to change anyway, not ideal to run the pedal dry.

I think OP meant can you do it in the engine bay without opening the nipples. Which of course is a no.

Back