Cheap ABS Sensors

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantc

I've tried 3 times to write this account and got kicked out 3 times . So this is a shortened version as I'm running out of patience! Here goes:
Bought 2 new sensors off ebay:

Seller:
Member ID autosense ( Feedback score of 1179)
Paid on 03-Sep-11 via PayPal
Item title:FORD PUMA FRONT ABS Sensor 1.4 1.6 1.7 LEFT/RIGHT *NEW*-
Item ID:330588242341 - Price: £15.00
Quantity:2
Economy Delivery : £2.70
Royal Mail 2nd Class Standard
Estimated delivery: September 8 - September 12
£30.00
Hoped to fit today, but forecast not good. After lunch it didn't look too bad, so took the chance.
Jacked up, axle stands, wheels off.
Started on driver's side. Undid cable from clips and plug (need to undo bolt holding in wheel arch lining as cable routed behind it) Had sprayed release oil on it over a couple of days. Wee bolt wouldn't move. Decided to try heat, knowing that that would destroy sensor, hoped new ones worked! Bolt came out, sensor melted. Tried to prise out sensor but it just broke, producing lots of fine copper wire! So I had the probe off, but with a stub left in the hole. As it is just plastic, with some bits of metal, decided to drill out. Put 3 holes in it round the edge and it collapsed, pulling out . Wayhay! Cleaned out hole with sandpaper, not too rusty, tried to fit. VERY tight in hole. Cleaned out a bit better, applied copper grease( making sure that none on tip of sensor)and applied with gentle use of a hammer! As soon as it was possible, put in bolt and used that to help draw it in, tapping with hammer at same time. Went in ok. Rerouted cable and plugged in. Time, 1 hour. (Radio switched off 1 hour timing just as I finished) Other side Ditto, but a little quicker. Realised that I had forgotten to disconnect battery and hoped I had done no damage! Now for the Test! Turned on ignition, ABS and TC lights still on........... But I had read on another thread that it has to go through the self diagnosis before the lights go out. Apparently this happens at 14 mph, so, Drove out of drive, down bumpy road, reached about 20mph, looked down, NO LIGHTS ON DASHBOARD, YAHOOO!!! Brakes and ABS working well, not so sure about traction control, but I haven't had the car long, so not sure how it should feel. Anyway, the sensors work! Cheap fix, £30 for sensors and a couple of hours work. The diagnostic was going to be £30, so saved on that. Now for an MOT and I can drive it. (ABS Lights on dash are MOT fail) (just bought it a couple of weeks ago, MOT-less). Should be Wednesday or Thursday.
Hope this is of help to Y'All! Grant

ScubaSteve said:
waits for "needs new abs sensors" post in a month

Bit harsh That ste- Bee has one of these on the front and it has work faultless lee for over 13 months now??

Not all of them are duff ones

One thing i used the same ABS sensors as you did for me it worked as well but when I had to make an emergency stop i heard some kind of rattle. Since then the Abs lights go on and off very strange ...

Denny64 said:
One thing i used the same ABS sensors as you did for me it worked as well but when I had to make an emergency stop i heard some kind of rattle. Since then the Abs lights go on and off very strange ...
The ABS will "rattle" a bit. You should feel the pedal pumping under your foot too. Maybe you have a seized caliper or something.....?

Sounds good mate, it annoys me when people go on about using genuine ford parts like abs loom or wish bones,
You have fixed your car and not spent hundreds of pounds.

I hope they last a good few years to come!

well this sounds like to an answer to one item have spent many hours cleaning sensors, seems liike i need to put hand in pocket lol, just glad it worked for you

Latest posts

Back