CherryV's Thunder

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received another upper front grill today and immediately went at it with a hacksaw!

I've cut a piece from the grille I had on the car so I could de-badge the one I got today....

Ford badge removed, all the cut marks filed down:

View media item 4667
New section cut from other grille, stuck in with fibreglass:

View media item 4668
When that is dry, it will be sanded down and the whole grill will be painted.

It's not 'plumbed' in yet so not worrying about the number plate for now. I may end up getting one to stick on the bonnet, but that will depend on what 'style' this car ends up.

Quest.... now you know why I wanted your grille!

Went to a scrapyard with a friend today, looking for a camshaft for the repair project we've got but couldn't find one.

Didn't come away empty handed though. Spent a massive £6 on this....

View media item 4706
Now I have something to connect the turbo to the exhaust!

I just need to decide whether I will just use the three holed flange and get a new bend made or just cut the flexi pipe off if and get another pipe welded on to it to extend it....

Could someone confirm the size of standard Puma exhaust? I've worked out it's 2" O/D?

Good progress so far, glad you decided to keep it :cool: and I agree with Dan about the number plate eventually :eek:k:

For some reason the turbo charger I had bought has the compressor side pointing at the wrong angle.

I decided to pull it apart and turn it, but that would mean the bracket for the waste gate actuator would no longer line up with the mounting holes. So, while it was apart, I'd re drill and tap some holes for it.
After good advice, I soaked the exhaust side with WD40 and left it a few hours. I went back to it and used a hot air gun to heat the casing. Once that was hot, the casing came off with a few taps of a hammer.

Next was the compressor side. I was advised to get a large heavy duty pair of circlip pliers. But after a little hunt through my tool box to see what I could use, I got the clip out really easily. First attempt with no screwdrivers or circlip pliers in sight!

View media item 4720
Now I've got to the part which is a bit of a bummer.... the bearings in the core are shot, so decided to pull it to pieces.
I got the nut off the compressor end, but the actual compressor fins were giving up a fight.
After a bit of swearing I'm left with this...

View media item 4722
Now need to decide what I'm going to do with it......

Not much been happening lately.

I obtained a couple of pieces of steel, to make myself a pair of bonnet raisers ready for when the turbo goes on....

View media item 4735
Also, after quite a successful weekend, I've ordered four new Toyo tyres so I can put my black Pro Race wheels on.... :thumbs:
I'm going from 195 wide to 205, better suited to a 7" wide wheel. Hopefully I'll have more stability on the road. The tyres I'm using at the moment are ok, but certainly not the best.

I've also been looking at getting the turbo mounted to the standard manifold... I'm not convinced about it at the moment. I know it more than possible, but at the moment I have doubts about being able to get it right.
As an experiment I've bought a tubular type manifold which looks suitable enough to adapt to fit a turbo on it. I've not got any dimensions for it, so will have to wait until it arrives to measure it up and see how viable it is.

Manifold has been dispatched... Will be here in a couple of days.

No indication as to whether the tyres have been dispatched yet.

Manifold arrived today. I think it will make the turbo sit too low, but will look at it in better detail in the next few days.

Also, tyres arrived at the same time. :thumbs:

Got to wait until pay day to get them fitted. :'(

mix2000 said:
How did I miss this.
Nick work :eek:k:
Thanks!

Wheels fitted along with the lush new Toyo PX4 tyres. Just got back from a test drive and I'm soooo impressed. Came indoors with a huge cheesy grin on my face. I'm well impressed!

The ride in general feels slightly softer, but firmer around bends. Now need to get used to how they grip and see how quick these corners can be!

CherryVimto said:
Wheels fitted along with the lush new Toyo PX4 tyres. Just got back from a test drive and I'm soooo impressed. Came indoors with a huge cheesy grin on my face.
That's what it's all about! :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back