CherryV's Thunder

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a measure of the current ride height, so I'll post it on here so I've also got a record of it myself...
Rear: 310mm lower by 68mm from standard
Front: 320mm lower by 55mm from standard

Measured from the wheel centre to arch

I've made no progress with anything due to funds being a bit tight, but all will loosen up shortly.

I've ordered a front splitter so should hopefully get that next week.
In a week or so I'll continue collecting the rest of the parts for the turbo conversion.
Will also be getting new cambelt, water pump, accessory belt tensioner and possibly the belt too.

Lots going on soon!

I've spent today doing a few bits and pieces, using the parts I have.

Firstly, I've been chopping a tubular manifold I got ages ago. I've chopped it to see if it will be any easier to mount the turbo on to it. I think it may hang too low, but won't know until I can offer it up.

The mounting for the gauges has been under way. Ive got some sheets of foamex which I got off eBay a few months ago. It's quite strong and weights next to nothing, so I'm mounting a piece in the stereo surround to hold the gauges.

I've got two engine covers spare. The one I've got on the car which I painted up is all dirty, so I decided to paint another and kind of use it as a 'show' cover.

Now, the '16v Zetec S' part of the cover I would like to paint/colour, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
I had thought about firstly layering a few coats of colour over it, then laying the top colour over the top. I could then wet and dry through the top coat to reveal the colour underneath.
The issue I have with that is, that if I layer the colour too thick, it will lay between the lettering, reducing the 3d'ness of it.

Any ideas from anyone who has done this....?

Flying Scotsman said:
Just looking at your turbo mounting. You've just slapped it on to the flange, no rear or sideward angling. Any particular reason why?
Why do I need to?

It's been test fitted and clears what it needs to

CherryVimto said:
Flying Scotsman said:
Just looking at your turbo mounting. You've just slapped it on to the flange, no rear or sideward angling. Any particular reason why?
Why do I need to?

It's been test fitted and clears what it needs to

Better angle of attack for the Cold side inlet, and ive just realised your using a small turbo.
Make sure you get the oil return as dead vertical as possible.

A couple of small updates.

I've started to fit the piping for the intercooler.

Finished the engine cover....
View media item 4922
Got a splitter from Richard Mansfield. Had a minor hiccup, but Richard sorted that out without a problem! Top guy and a pleasure to do business with!

Splitter is brilliant quality. Even the back of it was a pleasure to look at! It's nice and light with a really good finish. I'm very pleased with it!

View media item 4925
View media item 4926
View media item 4927

Thanks guys.

She's looking a bit scruffy at the moment.

Still need to replace the passenger wing after it got damaged on the way to Ford Fair last year :oops:
The rubber part across the front bumper is scuffed and could do with being replaced.

I was hoping to have the turbo fitted and running ready for Ford Fair, but I don't think it'll be ready.
I need to buy another turbo as the one I've got has too much play for my liking.
I've also decided to get the cambelt and water pump replaced at beginning of next month. I want it fitted ready for when the turbo goes on.

Hold up is money.

I've got three pay days from now until Ford Fair. First one is paying for the cambelt and water pump.
The other two need to buy the remaining parts which are basically everything apart from the intercooler and pipework.
I've had a few less generous months so not been able to progress with this as quick as I wanted.
If Ford Fair was a month later, I'd probably be able to do it.

Found oil sitting round the spark plugs so thought it was a good time to replace the rocker cover gasket..... or so I thought!

Couldn't get the rocker cover off because the strut brace runs over the top of it. So, I thought I'd be clever and undo the drivers side engine mount so I could lower the engine a tad.
That idea went up in smoke when the engine was sitting on the lower strut brace!
So I put everything back together until another day.

These braces are good, but they just get in the way!

A minor update....

I tried to continue with the intercooler piping, but am having trouble getting from the drivers side end of the intercooler, past the radiator cradle, past the bottom radiator hose and through the other side.

I've solved the radiator pipe being in the way... I pulled it off, cut about and 1.5" off the end and put it back on. That gave me enough room to clear it.
The next issue is I can't get past the radiator cradle enough to clear it, through towards the engine. The A/C pump is in the way. So, I've ordered a shorter belt and will be taking the pump off.
Third issue is I can't get past the lower strut brace under the gearbox, so looks like that's going to have to come off.

I've been able to order most, if not all of the 'larger' parts:
Blow off/dump valve
Another turbocharger
Power boost valve/injection regulator
Tubular manifold from LMS

I've also ordered:
Shorter auxiliary drive belt
Gates cambelt kit and water pump
Fuel rail adapter
Genuine exhaust manifold gasket
Oil pressure gauge adapter
Silicone 90 deg. elbow x2