Chewing through oils, spitting out exhaust. Rings?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serth

Hi all,

My 1.7 lump is chewing through oil at a rate of about 1 litre per 1000 miles, and spitting it outta the exhaust (oil catch tank proves no oil coming out the front). As a result, my lambda gets coated in oil and I have to replace that regularly too.

Am I right in thinking that this could be piston rings? I know people say not to replace unless the engine is smoking on idle but oil isn't cheap.

Just wanna be clued up on what's gonna happen and when is it likely.

Engine is driven to its full potential, 1.7 mha on approx 85k miles. Put a thicker oil in (5w40) but not much of a change

I'm using 0-40 Mobil1 on my fiesta /puma 1.7... 5-30 just gets 'used up' too quickly now

I suspect a combination of the rings and probably the valve stem oil seals too....

Tricky one...to fix it would be not much change of a grand I suspect once you'd seen the job through 'properly' (of course peoples definition of properly varies some massive amount lol)..

A grand buys a fair amount of oil :lol:

It would be cheapest to get another engine and fit that, as long as that one is working of course.

do a compression test, if it's the same on all cylinders it's unlikely to be rings, given the amount of oil your using its prob valve stem oil seals, a mechanic can do the compression test or you can buy a kit for like £20ish

Latest posts

Back