clutch smell advice

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james v

Hi guys

My clutch hold really tight and the car pull hard like a train in all gears with no sighn of slippage at all. But after giving it the beans when i park up i can smell clutch.
When i test drove my mother in laws to decide weather or not to get a puma (wich made me decide definatly to get one) it also smelt of clutch after giving it a boot and it has over 25000 less mile than mine on 10700.

Is this a common thing with pumas or do both clutches sound like there on the way out.

But neither feel at all as if the clutch is week or slipping, both revs and speedo move in sync and they pull good and hard.

Thanks

They will smell when giving them beans if your slipping the clutch too much or dumping the clutch too fast, as will be the case with most clutches. All about smoother gearchanges.

I noticed the Puma one doesn't like hard getaways especially and will heat up and start slipping fairly easily which in turn gives the familiar smell of burning clutch.

never experienced my clutch slipping, but thats with standard power, id suggest if yours is slipping with standard power it, and/or the release bearing needs replacement

yippeekiay said:
They will smell when giving them beans if your slipping the clutch too much or dumping the clutch too fast, as will be the case with most clutches. All about smoother gearchanges.

I noticed the Puma one doesn't like hard getaways especially and will heat up and start slipping fairly easily which in turn gives the familiar smell of burning clutch.

Thanks, thats probably it, probably my lighting fast gear changes doing it no good ill try and ease of the clutch more when changing up at high revs. It hard not to want to be in high revs when the engine just feels so good above 4k.

the pedal position isnt great for heal toe downchanges but trying to find a way round that

il just rephrase, as you obviously didnt take much notice the first time i said it, that with standard power your clutch shouldnt slip under any driving conditions. I have "given it beans" on many a track day (which is probably far harder than you are possibly driving on the road) and never once has it slipped, the only smell I have ever witnessed coming back into the paddock was brakes.

Saying that if you are running something higher powered you can completely ignore (again) my comment haha

I dont get any clutch slip when road rallying, Im generally pushing the poor thing pretty hard then, I do however on one particular hill start that I do on my way home from work, a set of lights I always get stuck at on a really steep hill. Quite often get a smell of clutch from that one :(.

The word bandied around here is shouldn't which I agree with but driving styles amongst other things aren't been taken into account which doesn't mean it won't slip. My original clutch slipped when I overdid a start and/or rushed a gear change and/or knocked it down into too low a gear. The fact I didn't have the ABS/TC working at the time didn't help the situation on fast getaways. This also happened on a brand new clutch when I came over a hump, got air and changed down to too low a gear (all on track), as I landed the car jolted violently and the clutch wasn't best pleased and smelt to high heaven and slipped until it cooled down but never slipped again for 30k+ miles.

All the above may I add in a standard powered car. I put it down to my sometimes clumsy/impatient driving style but if it was regularly slipping under no real provocation then yes, I would also look at changing it.

ScubaSteve said:
il just rephrase, as you obviously didnt take much notice the first time i said it, that with standard power your clutch shouldnt slip under any driving conditions. I have "given it beans" on many a track day (which is probably far harder than you are possibly driving on the road) and never once has it slipped, the only smell I have ever witnessed coming back into the paddock was brakes.

Saying that if you are running something higher powered you can completely ignore (again) my comment haha

thanks for the "rephrase"
I understand what you mean, and in my mind unless a clutch is shagged it shouldnt slip no matter how you drive the car as it would have been deigned to handle the power.
Maybe as somebody else mentioned it could be the smell of the brakes, because i am hard on the brakes when driving hard. Maybe ive confused the smell, because as i mentioned before, the clutch doesnt slip at all and feels strong

Latest posts

Back