Clutches and Flywheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonB

I am after some information from those that know.
Done plenty of searching and reading about various clutch options, OE, organic, focus, ST etc and think I will go for the focus 1.8 16v option as lighter but bigger friction surface sounds good, however none of the posts I have read mention whether it fits onto the Puma flywheel or not. Thought it would be worth asking the question before I get the scoring plough ground out of my original.
Thanks.

hello mate is dose fit i fitted one last week get a better pedal than using a ford one for the puma! its worth getting the flywheel lightened makes a difference to acceleration!

Cheers, I think that I will have enough increase in acceleration due to the FRP engine, FRP LSD box and only 16" wheels, (plus I am a little concerned about putting all that through standard driveshafts) and they will probably take a good 0.020" off the face grinding.

I am pretty sure the standard shafts will be ok , there are a few people running FRP spec engines or partial FRP spec on standard and track puma's with FRP gearboxes ( final drive) plus 16 / 17 inch wheels.

You might want to consider the fiesta st150 clutch over the Focus clutch , I run the Focus clutch which is a 220mm feels really light and seems ok with my current setup but the ST150 clutch appears to be the better choice.

I'm currently running a 50bhp shot of nitrous and have no problems with the drive shafts or even the Focus clutch thus far. The clutch has done 30k miles which includes 28 laps of the Nurburgring so I'd say it's done pretty well already.

Forgot about you nitrous guys and your instant BHP :lol:

yeh the driveshafts will easily cope, the 1.8 clutch is bullet proof aswell, ive had one in my puma for 2 years now and its had some serious abuse and its still going strong!

Back