Coilover spring weight advice needed

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d170sam

Hello all, I currently I have the rear end of my car disassembled and I also have the rear shocks off, I've been thinking for a while I would like a slightly softer ride, I currently run AP coilivers, I know you can get Motorsport spring for coil overs with different lbs weight, my question is this: if say my rear springs are 700lbs and I put 600lbs springs on will the ride be smoother or am I just going to balls it up, obviously I would get lighter front springs also, any help or advice would be great, I suppose the disadvantage is the damping rate is fixed in my shocks

In a nutshell the higher the number the more force required to compress the spring. I have 300lbs front and 225lbs rear and it's stiff but rides well on the road, but if I had the choice I'd go higher in the future, probably 450F 325R.

The dampers are what make a ride hard, as they are less forgiving when turned up.

Basically high poundage springs reduce the body movement eg. in the corners and high pressure dampers increase the hardness of the travel, so you'll feel more bumps as they go harder.

So if you want a softer ride then it's the dampers that need changing, just getting lower poundage springs will make the ride crashier and more wallowy, effectively becoming less comfortable.

I have 300 on the front and 200 on the rear spot on for smooth tarmac and track work. But they are a bit hard for normal road use and that's with them on there softest setting. I am going for a bumpy tarmac setting so going 200 front 150 rear. There on gaz gold coilovers.

Graeme

Iv'e heard good things about theGAZz coilovers, they will probably be an upgrade in the future once turbo engine is complete, thanks for the reply Graeme

Latest posts

Back