Suspension refresh - advice on what to do ?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulous

I’m planning a bit of a suspension refresh. I think my car is still on it’s original shocks and springs from 2001! So I bought these…

https://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=31921&p=369282#p369282

KYB Excel G fronts, standard rears with H&R springs all round (30mm lowering). I’ve also got new top mounts and retaining plates so from a shock absorber perspective I think I’m sorted. I’ll be taking my car to my local trusted mechanic in the next few weeks to get the shocks fitted. My question is though, is there anything else suspension wise that is recommended to get replaced “while they’re at it”? I like to do things properly and was wondering while they’re doing the shocks are there any easy to replace bushes, links etc that should be replaced? And if so are there uprated items recommended. There’s nothing in any of my car service history to indicate that anything suspension wise has ever been replaced (but lots of receipts for other stuff) so I suspect it could all be original.

I’m also considering adding an OMP lower strut base just for good measure. (maybe even the full set of three but having scoured the posts on this subject it seems the lower front is the one that improves things the most)

Advice appreciated please, thanks, Paul.

On my original W reg puma back in the day I had semi adjustable suspension fitted at pumaspeed, along with poly bushes. It was a very firm ride which doesnt suit everyone, though i liked it. Speed bumps became something of an issue though and with 4 people in the back they were impossible, to the point where I had to leave people at the side of the road one night while I dropped someone off in a speedbump estate.

Ah yes I meant 4 in total! :oops: Did have 5 in the old girl on occasion now that was a squeeze

Back