Confused

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexwilliams840

Hi guys, basically i had the car on axle stands trying to find a leak in the exhaust, when i took it off there was a bang and the abs & tc light stayed on but only for about 15 seconds, i had it up on stands again and the passenger side wheel (where the bang came from) seems to be on the piss slightly but everything seems solid... any ideas?

The traction control and abs light would have just come on because there's no resistance on the wheels when you've got the engine ticking over, the wheels are free to roll randomly while the cars up on stands. This tends to happen after driving on icy roads or if youve had a session on a rolling road. It normally sorts itself out the car just tends to get a little confused lol

As for the bang... I'll leave that for someone else to answer :-/ hope it's not caused an issue for you

They stayed on while i was driving it is what i mean but then went off, it seemed to drive the same but i don't know... i always have my other puma with solid components to swap parts over if it's advisable. I may go get it tracked see if they can shed some light on it

I don't pretend to understand the electrics but what were you doing when you heard the bang? Moving the car?

If the car had been standing and there was water on the brake discs/pads then sometimes they sieze and it can take some effort to break them apart again - and when they do there is often a banging sound. If I am way off track I'll get my coat...

alexwilliams840 said:
They stayed on while i was driving it is what i mean but then went off, it seemed to drive the same but i don't know...

Yea, that's what happens, the lights stay on for a little while while driving then they would have turned off on their own because with the traction between the wheels and the road it would have sorted itself out.
It's nothing to worry about, it's happened to mine a couple of times after its been up in the air/on a rolling road

I'd be more concerned about that bang...

Another suggestion, in the opposite direction..... Maybe something was previously dislodged, and the loud bang was it settling back to how it should be......? :roll:

I think what happened l, as often happens especially if you have lowering springs, once you jack the car up, there is no load on the springs keeping it inside the locating cups on the shock absorber, so it moves. Then once you load it back onto the wheels, the spring is still not quite centred. So ill bet that the bang happened either as soon as you put it back on its wheels, or as soon as you tried to move the steering wheel?? If so its perfectly normal and won't hurt anything.

As said above, your abs/tc lights will stay on until you go above around 15mph. Did you start the car when it was on axle stands and have one or both front wheels spinning, or did you have the ignition on in position 2 while you had it off the ground? If one wheel was spun that could cause those lights to come on as the ECU thinks its wheel spinning as the rear wheels are stationary, or vice versa.

Back