Dedicated Track Car Progress Thread

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good price then really. And yea I agree if not changing the setup then don't suppose there's much point having adjustable items.

I have gone with, what was, my original idea for the droplinks on lowered suspension.
Which was to get a pair of droplinks cut and welded 45mm shorter than standard.

As I am driving about around the Ardwick district of Manchester with my job at the mo,
there are a myriad of manufacturers to call on to do a proper job.
I have a hobby MIG at home but anything thicker than a panel and it struggles.
With this being a suspension part I wanted a skilled hand on the job.

So I popped into an auto factors (GT) who were great. They had two types on stock, cheap and expensive. I asked how much more and the guy said a pound! So I bought the premium (Federal Mogul) version.
Compared to the really cheap ebay ones I fitted two years ago, they are miles chunkier.
Then I popped into a metal fabricators and had a chat with the guy there who was happy to take on a little job like this.

Here are the results..
[image]5542[/image]

The shortened premium ones weigh the same as the complete ebay jobbies.
I`m happy my ARB will now be straight again.

They`ll go on Saturday and I might try to get a test drive done before Silverstone (11 days away!)

I had a good day yesterday prepping the car for it`s first playtime of the season next week.

My `redneck` modified droplinks (45mm shorter than standard) fitted fine and my ARB is no longer at a jaunty angle..
I also fitted new rear brake calipers, as my originals would not push all the way in (cruddy pistons) so fitting new pads was a real problem.
I`d had to fit used pads with my new discs. Not a recomended course of action, but I was literally on my way to Pembery last year when I found out.
Anyway a pair of brand new calipers are now fitted with brand new Brembo pads all round. With new branded DOT4 fluid too.

The reason I have gone for standard Brembo pads over M1144`s or Green/Yellowstuff, also `flat` discs and DOT4 fluid,
is that my driving style is not all about maximum last minute braking.
but more about controlled, early braking and driving through a corner (miles more traction)
So my brakes don`t overheat, dont fade and dont eat a set of pads per drackday.

So I cant justify shellingl out all that extra money for hi-spec stuff, when my set-up works so well.

So today I just need to re-wrap my exhaust headers (where it was welded) and have a mile or two testing.
(Oh yes, and clear out a pile of junk thats found it`s way into the car)
Then I`m ready to rumble :thumbs:

And rumble it did..

[image]5552[/image]
[image]5551[/image]

The car ran great :thumbs:
The sixty quid engine looks like a good un!
The Silverstone GP circuit is one serious piece of track, over 3 1/2 miles ling and wide.
So there were some REALLY serious cars there, meaning ?I was probably outclassed by 90% of the cars there.
I had to be on top of my mirrors but there was plenty of track for everyone.
Being in the most modest car there made every overtake a buzz, I got past some nice motors..

And that was without my FRP cams fitted.
Now I know the engine is a good un, they`ll be in before my next outing!
Which is Oulton Park on the 12th March. and will be my last chance to fine tune the car before the Javelin sprints start in April.

One minor problem was a slight oil leak, from the belt end of the engine and dribbling straight onto my driveshaft/exhaust.
So I smoked every time I pulled in! used about a liter of oil over the day.
I`ll change the cam oil seals as a matter of course and find where the leak is while I`m in there, if it`s not that.

The cars handling gave me no surprises and my redneck droplinks seem to have done the trick.
Although I must say that in the morning the track was slippier than any tarmac I have ever driven on!
Iv`e never ended up cornering sideways so much as in those early sessions (I wasn`t on my own)
Though red flags were not too plentiful as you`ve got to be RIGHT off track to get in the gravel. No crashes either.

I fired my lap timer up for a session in the afternoon.
Recording 2:51.2 as my fastest lap, hitting 108.8.
I was seeing 120 on the clock at the end of the day..
And I managed an epic 215 track miles :grin:

The trackday organiser were Circuit Days. they do not advertise on the trackdays,co,uk website and I`ve only used them once before.
Both my experiences with them were first class.
Friendly, approachable and well organised. I`ll be using them again. Probably Brands in the Autumn.

On a side note, I spotted these on ebay.

[image]5553[/image]

They`re the 120 treadwear `Soft` version and will be my sprint tyre
Collection only from Silverstone village for £200!

I`ve shrunk the pics and they seem to work now.
No tracktime photo`s yet, I`m waiting for the chap to send me some proofs.

I know £60! (off a mate, but still!)

Sounds like a bargain for an engine that seems pretty strong so far. And that is some mileage on track!! Nice one :grin:

What lap timer do you use mate? Glad you had a blast! I've done a couple of 20min sessions of the fordfair track but tbh I felt swamped

The Ford Fair track is really short compared to the GP circuit, but I think a lot of cars or drivers really could feel swamped, regardless of car.

I use a free mobile phone app. As I am using a windows phone, my choice of lap timing app is limited to one!
But it gives me the basic info.

Fordfair is manic, it`s the shorter circuit and half the drivers haven`t a clue and the rules are not even considered.
(same at all car shows with tracktime)

trublustu said:
[post]347337[/post]
Fordfair is manic, it`s the shorter circuit and half the drivers haven`t a clue and the rules are not even considered.
(same at all car shows with tracktime)

Agreed - this I what I meant about anyone in any car feeling swamped

My next track outing is coming up fast
Next Saturday to be precise! And as I`m working all week I`ve had to get things straight this weekend.

I now have the opportunity to work on my car cat home (which is soo much better than having to go find it first!)
So I`ve cleaned off the oil from the back of the engine and run the car.
No oil leak! so It may only be leaking under load. I`ll have to wait and see how it reacts at Oulton.
While I was under the front I did change the oil.
The splitter is starting to fall apart (packing case wood was only ever gonna last a couple of trackdays,
so I `sewed` the front edge with cable ties to get it through this trackday. I`ll be replacing it before the Sprintday Series starts in April.

[image]5559[/image]

I hoisted the rear end and set about sorting my brakes.

[image]5560[/image]

One of the brand new calipers I fitted for Silverstone was a dud. I`d had to refit my sloppy old one and reorder the part.
The seller was great and sent me a new N/S caliper, No quibble.
I fitted this and another set of Brembo pads.
Bled out the pedal is like rock.
I could also finally fit the Focus handbrake cables.
Not quite a straight fit but the car now has a fully functioning handbrake..

I also raised my rear coilovers by 10mm as I felt it was just a bit low.

[image]5561[/image]

The car is now loaded with it`s Dunlops and Jerry cans ready to roll come the weekend...

[image]5562[/image]

Which focus handbrake cables did you use Stu? Did you find they were a bit too long at all?

They came with the rig up.
I`m pretty sure they`re regular hatchback jobbies.
They were a little long, but the bends take up the slack.
The problem is with the brackets.
The focus ones need removing and the Cable needs strapping (cable ties rule) to the beam.

Fair enough, are they equal length each side?

I used a Fiesta ST150 handbrake cable and it's perfect one side and not the other because it's slightly too long one side. It also seems not to clamp as hard on the longer side.

Is it ok to bolt the splitter like this?

One of my friends said it's a no no... what are your feedbacks on this?
splitter-undertray mk1 3.jpg

Hello mihalyn,
I`ve done over a thousand miles on track since I fitted my splitter like this.
While driving balls out and bounced across several kerbs (and a few bits of grass) with no issues at all.
maybe your friend didnt use the `half moon` washers.

Yes they are the same length Moondust.
Bear in mind i dont know what the donor car was.
These 253mm Lucas rear brakes and hubs are the same on a lot of Fords (same spec discs and pads)

moondustka said:
[post]347821[/post] Fair enough, are they equal length each side?

I used a Fiesta ST150 handbrake cable and it's perfect one side and not the other because it's slightly too long one side. It also seems not to clamp as hard on the longer side.

Hummh, I am using ST150 handbrake cable and it is near perfect fit on both sides? Also, no issues with handbrake operation at all. On MOT they measure the braking forces for each wheel and the handbrake was completely equal in operation on both sides. It passed with flying colours and remark (to the car's brakes in general) that it brakes 'better then most of BMW's......' (having a complete ST150 setup front and back)

Interesting Sinisa.. Mine is definitely longer one side - not by much but the tube around the cable is longer. I bought it new from Ford :?

Latest posts

Back