Drum to disk brake swap

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys I'm a bit late for the party, but I'm new to the forum and I'm curious:
My Puma is a 1.6 without ABS and has drums and i wanna convert to disc. I also want to do the 300 mm disc conversion using the Mondeo brakes and callipers.As for the back, considering i have no ABS would it be easier to just take the whole rear axle out of a Puma with disc and swap it out, or just go with the Mk1 Focus brakes. I also want have a brake upgrade in the rear so any advice on what brakes out of what car to look for and so on will be greatly appreciated !

The only Puma with discs at the back is FRP and is quite improbable to find a complete rear axle of them. So the simple solution is focus mk1 rear hubs and calipers (also fiesta st150 is the same I think). No ABS means it's plug and play. Also a tip for the handbrake cable: the fiesta st150 fits nicely length-wise.

Be careful, though, with no ABS you have no built in brake balance so you may find that the rear is overbraked with discs on the back.
Barry

Greatly appreciate the feedback guys, thanks a bunch!
Also Barry, in regards to the brake balancing issue something I've read is that instead of using the Mondeo MS and servo, another option is to fit the ms and servo off a MK4 non abs fiesta because the non abs ms has restrictor valves on the rear circuits. I'm guessing that should fix the issue?

tuonokid said:
Be careful, though, with no ABS you have no built in brake balance so you may find that the rear is overbraked with discs on the back.
Barry

I have this issue on my track car, it’s quite scary when the rears lock up as it throws the whole car sideways. You’ll have to factor in a proportioning valve too.

I’m just in the process of tarting up some st150 kit for the back of mine... what are the restrictors you’ve use? I hadn’t thought of this and will surly new needed. Have you any pictures or a link to them?

My rear lines already pass through a hydraulic handbrake

What about a bias valve ? ...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382067621530

Thanks Tom

Back