Dutch 2000 1,7

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtbag

Hello all,

I've registered here a couple of weeks ago because I was about to buy a nice looking rust free 1,7 Puma. However.. Someone else beat me to it.

Since then I've had a search out on some car sites for a other one.

Well, today I got one.

It's a special one.

Pro, it has a APK (MOT for dutch cars) till end of may next year. It only cost me €900 euro en it drives good with only 123000 km behind it's tailpipe.

Cons... Well, this list is substantial.

Paint... Every flat surface topside is in base layer grey, the car is blue. The clear coat was bad and the previous owner (hobby car trader) sanded it off and started with replacing it, however, he had to much projects.
Also a minor rust spot between the rear wheel and bumper.. And some scrapes all round the car. No structural or bigger dents however.

I'm thinking about fixing up the rust spots and rolling the car entirely in some dark blue low gloss.

ABS malfunction, according to the papers that's been there a couple of years. Apparently not a problem for the APK, only a advise to repair it.

Drivers side window, mechanisms is crapped out, I have a box with parts with a passenger side mechanism, I'm going to hope I can replace the cable somehow. Else maybe second hand or something?

Drivers side seat is damaged

Some parts are in a box, some I've already put back on the car. Most were taken off for the painting. I've got an extra set of rear lights.

Only one simple key and a set to repair a key with remote. Haven't found the second key with the remote though. (yet)

I think that is most of it.

Amazon will deliver a set to polish up the headlights tomorrow.

db

Yeah, I'm reassembling parts.

Yesterday I tried to clean the trunk contacts in hope the "Door open" warning in the dash would go out. (No succes)

After that I went for a drive and after about an hour I heard some clunking from the rear. Only between 70 - 90 km/h in fourth and fifth gear with low throttle... The likes you get while driving behind someone else who drives awfully legal.

Back home I kicked and pushed the tires looking for a bad rear bearing and to check wheelnuts. Nothing.

I wobbled the exhaust. Nothing.

I opened the trunk, got out out the can of brake cleaner that was against the rear wall of the rear seats.

:: DUH ::

This morning I've replaced the clock which I got a replacement with the car, I placed the hood liner and the weird connected to nothing plastic box. (not on the spot where it's on the photo but against the hood)

Either I'm missing parts or something but I have no clue what the purpose of it is.

IMG_20240827_085246.jpg

I tried Forscan to check out the ECU's, however, the bluetooth "ELM" was refused, binned it. And both VAGCOM's I have are not detected.

I've now ordered a Vlinker on amazon.

So nothing big done.

db

Yeah, I'm reassembling parts.

Yesterday I tried to clean the trunk contacts in hope the "Door open" warning in the dash would go out. (No succes)

After that I went for a drive and after about an hour I heard some clunking from the rear. Only between 70 - 90 km/h in fourth and fifth gear with low throttle... The likes you get while driving behind someone else who drives awfully legal.

Back home I kicked and pushed the tires looking for a bad rear bearing and to check wheelnuts. Nothing.

I wobbled the exhaust. Nothing.

I opened the trunk, got out out the can of brake cleaner that was against the rear wall of the rear seats.

:: DUH ::

This morning I've replaced the clock which I got a replacement with the car, I placed the hood liner and the weird connected to nothing plastic box. (not on the spot where it's on the photo but against the hood)

Either I'm missing parts or something but I have no clue what the purpose of it is.

View attachment 12829

I tried Forscan to check out the ECU's, however, the bluetooth "ELM" was refused, binned it. And both VAGCOM's I have are not detected.

I've now ordered a Vlinker on amazon.

So nothing big done.

db
Well done finding the noise, I think a lot of us have had a similar experience.
The mystery box is there to accentuate the sound of the engine at higher revs !!
I used an ELM327 adapter lead to connect to a laptop for Forscan, it works very well for me and I've used it on several Puma's and other Ford cars.

So it's a resonator box and should not be connected. Thanks 👍 .

I think the eml I have is of the lowest grade in existence and have never been able to connect any car with it I recall correctly.

db

Well done finding the noise, I think a lot of us have had a similar experience.
The mystery box is there to accentuate the sound of the engine at higher revs !!
I used an ELM327 adapter lead to connect to a laptop for Forscan, it works very well for me and I've used it on several Puma's and other Ford cars.
Forgot to say the door open light, can be either of the door switches, but more likely the bonnet switch on the slam panel, I seem to recall bypassing one when I had the tatty Thunder, or the white switch on the boot latch has broken a fixing, I just used a self tapping screw and a large washer to hold it into place, again on the tatty Thunder, which I didn't want to spend any money on.

Don't forget to make time to join the twentieth European Ford Puma meeting. Contact me there and I'll hook up my Ford IDS (dealer tool). Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Don't forget to make time to join the twentieth European Ford Puma meeting. Contact me there and I'll hook up my Ford IDS (dealer tool). Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.
When and where will that be?

Doing nothing special continues...

Trying to fix the windows mechanism.. I tried this, I did not like this at all...

IMG_20240827_144601.jpg

So I pulled out the entire mechanism out of the whilst the glue was harding up (potlife of 45 minutes soo quite a eternity)

IMG_20240827_152345.jpg

I tried something else. I pushed the nubbing back in its hole and made a stainless "staple"

IMG_20240827_151955.jpg

That would just not stay put but superglue might help with that.

IMG_20240827_152618.jpg

The hammer to nicely seat the staple whilst the glue is setting.

Now something to drink and after that I'll get the thing back in the door. Lube up the rail.

I also switched the rubber from the donor right hand mechanism over to this one, this one was a bit knackered. Then perhaps get all the glue residue from the door.

I'm the third one busy with this mechanism, given the two different colors of duct tape to hold the piece of wood, the glass in the top and the door foil.

db

When and where will that be?

Doing nothing special continues...

Trying to fix the windows mechanism.. I tried this, I did not like this at all...

View attachment 12833

So I pulled out the entire mechanism out of the whilst the glue was harding up (potlife of 45 minutes soo quite a eternity)

View attachment 12834

I tried something else. I pushed the nubbing back in its hole and made a stainless "staple"

View attachment 12835

That would just not stay put but superglue might help with that.

View attachment 12836

The hammer to nicely seat the staple whilst the glue is setting.

Now something to drink and after that I'll get the thing back in the door. Lube up the rail.

I also switched the rubber from the donor right hand mechanism over to this one, this one was a bit knackered. Then perhaps get all the glue residue from the door.

I'm the third one busy with this mechanism, given the two different colors of duct tape to hold the piece of wood, the glass in the top and the door foil.

db
Good luck, I've never changed one on a Puma, but removed one from a scrap door, but I have changed the ones on a Fiesta MK3 on my Quantum.

Well... That was not easy.

The fix with the staple was fine.

However once I had the mechanism back in de door it made a horrible grinding noise.

Apparently I pulled one of the cables out the motor where is started grinding in the plastic, pulling that into the wheel inside and making a terrible mess of it.

In the end I had to straighten the cable, wind it on the wheel, pull it into tension and hook the little red guide into place. Then redo that all because I had the motor up side down :(

In the end. The window works again. smooth enough all tough a bit slow, but maybe that's because the motor wasn't running.

Now to get lampoil (to remove the glue crap) from the glass, however the rubber is a lot harder to clean.

db

Vlinker has arrived.

Front right abs sensor has a fault, as has the rear hatch sensor.
After that I botched a test and I was getting hot and I didnt want to drain the laptop battery during a test so I stopped to continue at a later time.

Btw, polishing front lights. Is it easier to cover the car and polish them whilst its lower then my knees or is it easier to pul the lights and polish standing straight with a drink in hand?

db

Vlinker has arrived.

Front right abs sensor has a fault, as has the rear hatch sensor.
After that I botched a test and I was getting hot and I didnt want to drain the laptop battery during a test so I stopped to continue at a later time.

Btw, polishing front lights. Is it easier to cover the car and polish them whilst its lower then my knees or is it easier to pul the lights and polish standing straight with a drink in hand?

db
Good progress, you have some direction to try and find the faults.
I think polishing headlights on the car is easier than doing them off the car, I have done mine both ways, but if you're using a drill attachment and a cutting compound, it does make a lot of mess.

You may find more info on the site of the Dutch Puma club:

https://www.pumadrivers.nl/event/17de-european-ford-puma-meeting/

Usually a nice mix of people from Germany, Netherlands and other countries come by. In between them are thousands of years of Puma knowledge. And me, with all the diagnostics.

I don't think I'll attend. I got to work that day and it's a bit out of the way for me.

I got a stack of bills with the car, quite about all of the bills it would appear. However, I have seen a bill for a multi belt, nut none for a timing belt.

I'm thinking I'll visit my garage and ask them for a big service, after a "spek en bonen" APK. I want to know if there are big holes and what it will take to repair those.

db

Update time.

I polished the front lights, I pulled them from the car and given the mess it did to my pants I'm glad it did. My pants are easy to wash, the car is harder with base paint.

I painted the grey areas including the lower part of the trunk, it was of no use to stop halfway a panel imho.

+ Good from far and far from good applies here.
+ If a golf ball can travel further thanks to it's dimples, well, I've gained 10 hp by painting this car.
+ I guess this makes this not a Puma anymore but a blue Pumba (Lion King, warthog, need I explain further?)

I don't like this paint and how it flows.

Also, whilst the paint was drying I found out the package with the replacement indicator stalk mechanism had arrived.

Did I tell the left indicator didn't self cancel?

Ahh well, I bought a GRADE A CHINESIUM replacement on amazon. Put it in, found out the indicator would not work, pulled it out. Started to make a bunch of photo's to warn here that this one would not work and then halfway found the indicator relay ;)

Right........ Pulled it out of the original, put it into the chinesium one and put it in the still drying car.

Well, what do you know, it needs the indicator relay to work :)

I've got an appointment with my preferred garage next week to make a assessment on the car.

Still on the to do list.
+ Get the non original radio fixed, it always starts on a local radio on quite a loud volume, probably a bad continuous voltage connector.
+ Combine that work with placing a android car screen so it's autostart. With the least amount of wire in view. ( I listen to https://kink.nl/player/kink on their app, they aren't in the FM in my area)
+ Front right ABS sensor replacement/fix
+ Better speakers, gotta look around, I have some speakers from previous cars that are an improvement I guess. (if they'll fit) and a couple in the box o parts that came with the car.
+ New wipers, cause these suck.
+ Rust removal and treatment.
+ Paint the rest of the car.
+ Better fitment of the door panels.
+ A load more to do probably.

db

Back