Engine dies after start

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palix91

Hello guys,
when I bought my Puma. I noticed that when engine is cold (in the morning, after work,etc...) When i start engine, I have to push gas a little to prevent engine from dying, If I do nothing, It just drop to zero (from aproximately 1000rpm drops to 0, usually when air cond is on, but most of the times with AC off). Now, I tried to full my tank with Basic Shell fuel, FuelSave, second tank now and dying is gone. Is it possible that their fuel solved my problem and how is it possible?
Thank you guys for answers

I would say no is the answer to the question, doubt very much if change of fuel would make any difference because we all know "basic" "fuel save" "super" etc etc are all basically the same but with different marketing ploys.
AC is a killer to any cold engine, especially little ones like the Puma, but again maybe not the cause, could have been something simple a sticking throttle flap, bit of dirt in the fuel or multiple other things.....if its now ok I would say leave it alone, if it comes back then do the basics first..plugs/leads/coil packs etc

Hi palix
If you`ve not long owned the car, it could simply be the car starting rolling again after a layoff. (period of neglect).
Things can sort of `gum up` (metaphorically)
A good service (including fuel filter) will probably do the car the world of good.
Stu..

Take a look at IAV (idle air valve), shiney thing bolted to inlet manifold from inside. Most probably it is clogged. Take it off (two M6 screws IIRC) and soak it with some brake cleaner but do it so in a way to prevent the cleaner soaking the actuator part. After few good cleans try again and see what happens.
IN my thread you can see how it looks, as I have taken it off and painted a bit

I’ll take a look at IAV if it start choking again. Fuel filter seems to be changed aproximately 80 000 km ago according to servicing book from previous owner, don’t know if its still ok or is ready to be changed. My next service stop will be in about 1000km from now for oil and oil filter change. Don’t know if its necessary to change fuel filter now.

Latest posts

Back