engine judders/hesistating/lumpy misfires etc

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBullitt99

New engine fully rebuilt failed m.o.t for emissions! Ran very rich for idle absolutely choking stuff and had a slight misfire.

Eventually tracked it down to an exhaust leak just after mani where the decat pipe connects which caused these unbelievable symptoms.

Now I have a problem very similar to topmansparkie post where the car seems lumpy on idle, seems as though it is going to cut out then revs go up by themselves and seems to clears self for a while..... However under driving the car can seem to be running alright and all of a sudden it seems to be choking as there is no power and the car will not accelerate(hesitation).

Funnily enough the engine prior done exactly the same thing and was my reason for putting a new one in as it was using alot of oil and just put the rough running down to this however it is now evident that this is not the case............

Electrical?????????

I have changed the Maf, plugs leads coil, Coolant temp sensor, cam sensor, lambda(all with new gen parts) and even the small loom that powers icv tps etc.

The ICV got replaced about 18months ago as did the TPS at the same time(again gen ford parts)

Any ideas please!!!!!!!

You will not be shot down in flames......... I just want more theories

Got a little update on this.

I got my friend with a code reader to plug my car in and it threw up the following codes:

P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected

P1132 - Lack of HO2S11 Switch - Sens Indicates Rich

Now i got my friend to delete these codes and the car did seem to run better, however it is still not right. It holds revs when cold e.g. when trying to change gear the revs will hang. It also sometimes feels underpowered. The Milltek makes a lot of noise and the car does accelerate, but considering it's a brand new engine it feels as though it is holding back. It also sometimes (mainly when cold) misfires, however not as often as before...

I hope this new info can get someone to finally put this problem to bed for me! Please!

20121211693.jpg

20121211694.jpg

Thanks again,
Nathan

martinthrapston said:
has the cambelt been timed properly by some1 who knows how to set the vct up correctly,if not it can cause problems

Yeah mate. Timed up properly using FRP cam locking tool and TDC.

The usual culprit for 'Idle hang' is the ICV (Idle control valve).

I've got fed up with my running issues and was borderline dumping my engine for another. But, as you've found out, it's probably not the engine. With running issues, we should remember that in a nut shell, the engine only does is it's told by the ECU. And the ECU only acts on the information it receives from the the sensors.
Unless were hear sounds like a spanner banging around in the sump, or a loud squeal from a drive belt, we can virtually say it will be an 'electrical' problem.

My running issues were virtually identical to 'Flying Scotsman'. He narrowed his problem down to a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor). I've yet to change mine to see if my problem goes.....

martinthrapston said:
SilverBullitt99 said:
martinthrapston said:
has the cambelt been timed properly by some1 who knows how to set the vct up correctly,if not it can cause problems

Yeah mate. Timed up properly using FRP cam locking tool and TDC.
are you using frp cams tho ??

Yeah, sorry for not being clear on that.

Not found anything specific for the Puma, but possibly use the same principle/things to look at on another vehicle.....? This me be of some help:

P1132 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Sensor Indicates Rich A HEGO sensor indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time. See Possible Causes for DTC P1130

P1130 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Fuel Trim at Limit The HEGO Sensor is monitored for switching. The test fails when the HO2S fails to switch due to circuit or fuel at or exceeding a calibrated limit.
Electrical:
Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
Water in harness connector
Open/Shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM
Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system
Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick
EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR
Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
A fuel control HO2S PID switching across 0.45 volt from 0.2 to 0.9 volt indicates a normal switching HO2S.

topmansparkie said:
Not found anything specific for the Puma, but possibly use the same principle/things to look at on another vehicle.....? This me be of some help:

P1132 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Sensor Indicates Rich A HEGO sensor indicating rich at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-lean condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time. See Possible Causes for DTC P1130

P1130 - Lack of HO2S-11 Switch, Fuel Trim at Limit The HEGO Sensor is monitored for switching. The test fails when the HO2S fails to switch due to circuit or fuel at or exceeding a calibrated limit.
Electrical:
Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
Water in harness connector
Open/Shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM
Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system
Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks
PCV system
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick
EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR
Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
A fuel control HO2S PID switching across 0.45 volt from 0.2 to 0.9 volt indicates a normal switching HO2S.

Cheers fella. I came across this list when i googled the codes. It is somewhere i can start. I was hoping that someone else had the same problem and could tell me exactly what's causing the issue. After putting a brand new engine in, i though my days of fettling about with it all the time were over. At my wits end. I see that user "Jacko" is having the exact same problem as me, so it's good to know i'm not alone...

SilverBullitt99 said:
I see that user "Jacko" is having the exact same problem as me, so it's good to know i'm not alone...
You'll find a lot of that if you read enough posts on here. When a couple of people get a problem, you can almost guarantee it will do the rounds with lots of others.
I've had, at the same time as other members, problems with the cooling system/over heating, engine running, engine idling, condensation....

topmansparkie said:
SilverBullitt99 said:
I see that user "Jacko" is having the exact same problem as me, so it's good to know i'm not alone...
You'll find a lot of that if you read enough posts on here. When a couple of people get a problem, you can almost guarantee it will do the rounds with lots of others.
I've had, at the same time as other members, problems with the cooling system/over heating, engine running, engine idling, condensation....

I agree with you 100% mate. Done the rounds of problems during my puma ownership. I think your sig says it all.

Back