engine swap ideas

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianshepherd

So I bought a 1.7 puma for scrap value. It didn't run and no one knew why.
Was hoping it wouldnt be anything major but looks like bent rods.
So looks like an engine swap.
My question is seeing as though I am swapping it.I may as well go for something a bit different and special.
Any ideas for engines that will go in. Already looked at the 2.0 zetecs from mondeos

depending on time/money and skill i would say 2 ltr zetec, 2 ltr duratec or 1.7 turbo :)

of course you can turbo the 2 ltr engines aswell!

How much are you looking to spend? A 1.6 Ecoboost from a Fiesta ST would be well worth the effort I reckon

It's quite a compact looking unit so if you could get the electrics to work it'd be awesome. It's a very tuneable engine too so you'd easily be looking at a 230-250hp Puma

ArtfulHussy said:
I would love to do a 1.6 ecoboost if I had the money!

Me to! BUT!

1.6 ecoboost is installed in cars running CANBUS. Usually the gateway is the instrumentl cluster. So, if you were even given the engine you would need a fly-by-wire pedal, installing a CANBUS, as well an instrument cluster (because the CANBUS goes through it and everything gets connected there) unless you plan on using your DIY electronics to run it, but I am affraid with twin variable camshafts and turbo tuning would be errrr.......challenging...

The Mk7 Fiestas use a modified version of the 1.6 Puma engine though so you could use something along those lines

Thanks for the info guys.
I have all the time I need.money is always an issue lol and I know a couple of guys that are very handy with spanners and know their ways around engine bays.
I am incredibly tempted for a 2.0 running bike carbs or may do a straight swap again with bike carbs.
If only a v6 would squeeze in there

I love ideas outside the box and I've never seen a supercharged 1.7 but I reckon you could adapt a Mini Cooper S one to fit

I'm full of crazy ideas, it's just a shame a 5 cylinder Focus ST lump won't fit between the chassis rails

thanks guys :)

I am very very tempted to go for an st170 engine,
does anyone know what sort of work is needed to make this work?

An ST170 engine is a tarted up 2.0 Zetec so it shouldn't be too much work to fit. Probably just looking at fabricating engine mounts and sorting the engine management out. I don't think you'd be able to use the gearbox though as the Focus is cable change and most ST170s give nowhere near 170bhp as standard,150-160 if you're lucky

My personal opinion is that the 2.3 duratec engine would be your best bet, its possibly one of the most tune able 4 cyl engines available, if you can't stretch to that then the 2.0 duratec from the Fiesta ST would be an ideal engine. Both love a bit of boost and there is endless amounts of knowledge and parts available for them.

Dont bother with the ST170 lump.

Bike carbs - Not worth the effort for the small gains they return.

Your always going to struggle with n/a power its also very peaky with all the power being at the top end. For drive ablitly an better power gains then you want a turbo, 250bhp!

So many options and choices :)
What turbo lump would you recommend. I am still a way off needing to make a choice yet

Either of the duratec engines. 2.0 or 2.3 you cant go wrong with them.

If money was no object I look to another manufacturer and fit a Honda K20 engine. 200bhp out the box, add some boost it would be awesome.

I ones saw a puma on the internet with a cossworth V6 from a scorpio and a 4wd system from a sierra I beleef. Something like that would be awesome!

joshua551 said:
I ones saw a puma on the internet with a cossworth V6 from a scorpio and a 4wd system from a sierra I beleef. Something like that would be awesome!

You mean this? http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100870" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back