Engine Temp - Getting VERY hot

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennymc

Hiya

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

The last long journey I made (Reading to Leicester) I had problems with my engine temperature. About 20 minutes into driving the temp guage went THROUGH THE ROOF, way past red.

I pulled over and called out the AA before I did any damage and the mechanic couldn't find a problem. He revv'd it for about 5 minutes straight and it seemed ok. Water and oil were also fine.

I found the temperature rose when I was in a higher gear and cooled when I coasted or drove in lower gears with higher revs (strangely enough).

HCV? Thermostat?.. Head gasket (*gulp*)?

Anyone else had similar trouble? I'm driving to Newcastle soon from Leicester so need to look at it soon.

if it was the hgf it would be misfiring sounds like a Thermostat or may the water pump hope you get it fix bro

Are there any other symptoms? heater not working? or noises from the engine bay? any loss of water or drop in the header tank?

This might seem like a silly question but was the engine actually hot when you stopped?

If not then suspect a dodgy sensor somewhere, just a thought based on your comments on high/low gears etc

Before you start spending big money on head gaskets and water pumps, try changing the HCV
My puma had the exact same problem as yours when i 1st bought it, the mechanic recommended changing the HCV.
Now the temp on mine never goes past halfway and ive never had any temp problems since :eek:k:

Back