Every cloud has a silver (or black) lining!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywood

Well, today started off with a bit of bad news, after taking the new Puma in for its cambelt, clutch and complete fluid change, I was told it needed extra work, namely new front discs as they were warped, and a new rocker cover gasket, as it was doing the usual trick of letting all of the oil out!

So, facing down the barrel of a four figure bill tomorrow, I got into the courtesy car that they provided, a nice new shiny Fiesta, and went for a drive. After about 5 miles of gutless performance, no feel through the steering wheel, more blind spots than a RNIB conference, and quarter of an hour of being immersed in so much plastic I started to feel like I was being shrink wrapped, things started to seem better.

After all, it's only £1200. Who cares? The car I was in that was making me consider self-harming was worth much more than that. Tomorrow will mean that the total cost of the Puma will be £2220. Not the cheapest Ltd Ed Black out there, but it has had half of the usual problems replaced for the money I've spent on it, and ALWAYS brings a smile to my face when being driven.

I guess the drive in the plastic-mobile showed me just how good the Puma is for a car that is now 10 years old (well, my one anyway!). It is such a drivers car, it looks better than the new Fiesta, it turns more heads when being driven through town, its more comfortable, has an accelerator pedal that actually makes you feel like it's there, has gear ratios that make sense as opposed to just having to constantly keep your hand on the stick to change every split second to keep in the 50rpm 'power'band and has been doing so for ten years for a fraction of the cost.

So when I punch the four digit magic money number into the pinpad tomorrow it won't hurt, knowing that I'll be jumping into something that will make me smile.

Which is just as well, because I've never spent so much on a car before in one go and was starting to question whether it was the right thing to do buying this car!

Seems quite alot of money! Clutch and cambelt aren't cheap but a few fluids, rubber gasket and some discs shouldn't be that much!

I know how you feel with the cost though, im paying a fortune for insurance but i dont fancy the idea of saving a couple of quid and buying a car i wont enjoy owning :grin:

That's a big bill! (is it a main dealer?)

You reasons are spot on though. My Megane is nothing like my last 3 Pumas, I'd happily have one in it's place again.

The price there is with Full service, cambelt, front discs and pads, and clutch. It isn't cheap. They have said they will work a better price out for me though, they already said they'd do 20% off of the cambelt job, which should be £360, and discounted other bits and pieces. Nikki, the lady who gave me the bad news, sounded like she was feeling sorry for me and said they'd do their best to give me a good price. I hope pity commands a good discount! To be fair though, if you break things down, £350ish for cambelt, and £375ish for clutch, and £200 for full service, with the parts cost of rocker cover gasket at OE price, and disc and pads prices (again OE) its not too far off. Sure, I could have gone to a small independent, using pattern parts, but I have peace of mind, and having worked in the Motorcycle trade as a workshop manager, I know how bad the pattern parts can be.

At least once I've spent this I'll be able to drive for a good few miles without the worry of spending too much, and I'm on this Smart service thing, so get free MOT's, servicing, summer/winter checks, puncture repair, pads replacement, and other benefits for three years now.

Back