Fitted st150 callipers...easy as it gets.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewjeffs

Managed to get a full set of disks,pads and calipers from a Fiesta ST150 from ebay for £80.

Its literally a hours job to swop the brakes over,as the carriers match right up to the hubs with no messing around..2 bolts,done.

A quick bleed of the brakes,and a massive improvement in braking force was apparent right from the start,even before everything has been bedded in.

I was really suprised by how much the servo flexes in the firewall when the brakes are applied...i think a stiffening bracket needs to be added,as this flexing cant help braking performance.

Just for reference,i have the black earlier type servo on my Y reg 1.7,and it doesnt seem to have any problem in coping witth the bigger brakes..no more pedal pressure needed..infact much less than the standard pressure with the original set-up.

Point is though,it really is a simple swop, that a novice could undertake..so if you are hesitant to do the conversion,it really isnt any trouble.

Got to be the most cost effective performance mod for the puma..

andrewjeffs said:
Managed to get a full set of disks,pads and calipers from a Fiesta ST150 from ebay for £80.
I was really suprised by how much the servo flexes in the firewall when the brakes are applied...i think a stiffening bracket needs to be added,as this flexing cant help braking performance.

Just for reference,i have the black earlier type servo

Thanks for that info. I have the latter model and experience the same behaviour. So I guess the only way to avoid it is to fit a mondeo servo which is larger and designed for 280 mm brakes.....

Wild E. Coyote said:
andrewjeffs said:

Just for reference,i have the black earlier type servo

Thanks for that info. I have the latter model and experience the same behaviour. So I guess the only way to avoid it is to fit a mondeo servo which is larger and designed for 280 mm brakes.....

I'm planning on getting an upper strut brace and creating some sort of brace for the servo, even though it stops on a penny so it can't really affect the braking effort much, but it still annoys me a little. I have the 300s too so it's worse haha.

I have a T reg 1999 puma and would like to do this mod as frankly, the standard brakes are crap! Are there any stipulations when sourcing calipers/discs off the ST to make sure it fit's mine and is this mondeo servo upgrade thing a good idea? Bear in mind i know nothing bout cars- I've always had bikes till now

The piston on the bigger brakes is @50mm compared to the Pumas @35mm
so a proportionately larger master cylinder is a good idea
When I first fitted my ST200 brakes I thought I gaine pedal travel
so I fitted the master cylinder off an early puma (early fiesta/puma is same bore as V6 mondeo!)
and it works much better

Hi Stu, I've found this set up on ebay Ford Fiesta ST 150 MK6 calipers,discs and pads with hel lines (would have posted the link but I'm tech crap and don't know how) apparently the discs have been skimmed and not used since. Any good?

Hey All!
Weekend warrior here! After spending nearly 2 weeks driving fathers French rubbish thing, I have also come to the conclusion that the brakes on my beloved Puma are pants in comparison to the shed that I have been driving! I am very interested in upgrading the brakes and am keenly following this thread. Is it as easy as andrewjeffs says it is? And is it worth while doing a rear brake conversion if this is the case? I will have to investigate this a bit more I presume i.e drums to discs would need some sort of shaft and carrier??Any info would be fantastic!
many thanks
Verity

Might seem like a silly question but... does the ABS still work :oops:

I have a 51plate with 9 spoke wheels - have read somewhere that these don't need any spacers etc - can someone please confirm.

Many thanks

Yes, ABS does work if you do the rear disc conversion right. If you ask about the front ST150 conversion, the ABS is unaffected by it.

If you put on the ST150 discs, you will need 3 mm spacers only with the prop wheels. F1, 9-spoke and thunders don't need the spacers

Wild E - you are a master! I will certainly have a crack at doing the front brakes (thanks for mentioning spacers), but the rear brakes seem like they are a bit too much for my limited experience. If, however you (or anybody else), are on holiday in Cornwall, give me a shout! I will supply plenty of homemade,real,proper Cornish pasties,cider and Thunder n Lightening which will stick your ribs together!!

Actually, the rear disc conversion using the method #2 (as in my thread) can be done using only a dremel after you had the hubs machined down to the needed OD. You will need the two ABS rings and another brakelines as the original will be to short. The only things that needs your attention is the gap to the tone rings (0.6 mm, tolerance is 0.2-0.8 mm) and the exact positioning of your ABS sensors. Use the old, drum hubs as a guide and you can't fail.

So when fitting the front st150s the Mondeo v6 master cylinder is a good idea? My Puma is a 99 so will this have the later smaller master cylinder?

I've just takin delivery of ST150 disk and calipers, going to get then cleaned up first, have done the rear disk conversion, but not tested, or fitted the axel back on the car, was getting it cleaned and painted, does it matter what angle the abs sensor sits, ie should the locating screw sit at the 3 or 9 oclock position or can it sit at say 10 or 4, can't thi.k of a better way to describe the position, I've set the sensor approx 0.6, attached, my multimeter and turned the hub to see if it registered a reading, which it did, the faster you turned it the higher the reading, set it to volts, as on resistance showed nothing.

I use the old disk plate as a guide, one last this can't find my old abs sensors to reuse the plastic carrier, so any idea where I can get these to attach it back on to the axel.

I'll check that out again, I'm sure when I tried it read 0, but ill have another go, these were replacements, so I've not tested them on the car before the change, and the last set had to be cut, couldnt get the bolt off. Thanks again for the information.

Back