Fixing up my first puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YayTheFiatDied!

Hi everyone, finally got my hands on a 1.7 Puma that i'm fixing up (X744ATF) after years of putting up with a 1.1 fiat panda which had a 50% chance of having a problem everytime the key was put in the ignition!

The puma has a few things I need some advice on if anyone has ever come across these problems before:

-The McPherson strut had an advisory on an MOT shortly before I bought the vehicle. Is this a weekend shed project or a full garage job?

-The top seals above the electric windows have become trapped on different sides of the window, it's not a big issue I hope but I am looking for a permanent fix

-The door open warning light stays on despite all doors being closed, I've got a feeling this may be to do with the drivers side door lock only working one way

Any help and advice is really appreciated

Welcome to ProjectPuma!

Regarding your problems:
- the McPherson strut is quite easy to get out. You loosen the nut on top of the damper (under the bonnet) and then another nut and bolt on the knuckle. You also need to remove the ARB drop link and the brake hose. Then you have the spring-damper assembly out of the car. If you want to separate them you MUST use a spring press.

- it is typical Puma problem. Spraying them with silicon spray may help them a bit.

- I don't know about that.

Alex

Welcome along.

Did both my front struts in a couple of hours without any hassle (just make sure you refit the brake pipe mount when you put it back together otherwise you have to take it apart again :-( )

My open door light came on ages ago, no idea why, ignored it..simple fix!

The open door light will just be a bad connection somewhere. A rotted wire maybe or the switch gone doolally. Some fault finding and a trip to a breakers will cure it.

If its the same problem then I fixed a trapped door seal by using a thin piece of plastic sheet (cut from ice cream tub lid) to pull the seal to the right place with the window shut and then protect the glass while heating the seal with a hair drier (borrowed)

Latest posts

Back